Houses of the Famous and Notorious by Jo Shomen
Summary: A Daily Prophet article on the school house characters of recent celebrities of the wizarding world.
Categories: General Characters: None
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1588 Read: 528 Published: 07/17/2007 Updated: 07/20/2007

1. Houses of the Famous and Notorious by Jo Shomen

Houses of the Famous and Notorious by Jo Shomen
(Author’s note: this article on celebrity players in Recent Events (written after Book 6) is from the Daily Prophet’s Sunday Supplement. It accompanies a post I made in the SH forum Personae. A previous version of this appeared in FictionAlley.)


Houses of the Famous and Notorious


The happy hours of youth - how time gilds the memory of our school chums, in those long-ago days when we were surrounded by like-minded companions in the security of our school House. Ambitious Slytherins, passionate Gryffindors, obsessive Ravenclaws, and relaxed Hufflepuffs, we discovered ourselves in the foibles of our friends.

But very few people are the undiluted spirit of their House. Similar to the concept of 'cusp' in astrology, in many people the major characteristic is tempered by mixture, either with 'adjoining' houses (Gryffindor with Hufflepuff, for example), or more interestingly with 'opposite' houses (Gryffindor with Slytherin). Indeed, most people contain at least a touch of all the characters.

Although one's astrological sign never changes, people's dominant and secondary House character may develop over the course of their lives. The Daily Prophet's resident connatologist, Verity Fulcrum, brings you this exclusive analysis of Wizards in the News.


The Three Companions

Mr. Harry Potter, Miss Hermione Granger, and Mr. Ronald Weasley, all prominent Gryffindors, exemplify the ideal of the 'mixed-House' persona.

Harry Potter, although apparently all Gryffindor, is nearly half-Slytherin. "The Sorting Hat had a tough time deciding," a close friend revealed. The Gryffindor facet of his character was clearly identified in his youthful determination not to be one of the "bad guys" -- not to be like his unspeakable Muggle relatives, not to be befriended by the arrogant Malfoy heir on their first Hogwarts journey. Later, this crystallized into his true Cause: the downfall of the Death Eaters. But his propensity to act the hero without thought or consultation, dragging his friends with him, is very Slytherin. In his worldview, it's all about him. Of course, he has good reason: Voldemort's dogged pursuit of the Potter family has shaped his entire life.

Hermione Granger, although she constantly endures taunts about her Muggle parentage, has a brilliance which has insured her a place in Hogwarts history. She was routinely performing N.E.W.T.-level magic while her classmates were studying for their O.W.L.s. A more classic case of Gryffindor + Ravenclaw would be hard to find. She has a prodigious memory for detail, and does her best work in fields requiring linear, stepwise logic. Her relentless championship of the house-elves illustrates the dangers of a highly-talented, partially-educated Gryffindor/Ravenclaw. She has found a cause to champion, but only understands one part of the issue. Failing to examine the wider implications, she has succeeded only in embarrassing Dobby (Hogwarts' freed house-elf) and endangering the employment of other house-elves.

Ron Weasley's talents have been consistently underestimated by his peers, by the media, and even by his family and himself. In this, he is a typical Hufflepuff cusp. It is difficult for the young to be holistic, since a good deal of life experience is necessary to intuitively understand complex systems. Nevertheless, this Gryffindor + Hufflepuff has been a key player. It was the Hufflepuff in him that conquered McGonagall's giant chess set, and the Gryffindor that volunteered to be bludgeoned by the opposing Bishop. His ability to see Harry the person (not Harry the legend) continues to support the three companions through difficult times; he keeps them in touch with the larger issues. The youngest Mr. Weasley has a promising future.

Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, and Mr. Ronald Weasley achieve more together than they could separately because their strong talents are complementary. It was all there to see in a single event during their first year at Hogwarts: three Gryffindors jump blindly into a dark hole. Harry leads, hot for battle, issuing orders (the Slytherin within doesn’t hesitate to assume he’s in command). He and Ron are trapped by - something - what? Hermione recognises Devil's Snare. The Ravenclaw side of her remembers the book learning, but – in her panic – forgets the next step. She needs fire:

" ' - but there's no wood!' cries Hermione, wringing her hands.

'HAVE YOU GONE MAD?' Ron bellows. ' ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?' "

Mr. Weasley, cusp Hufflepuff, may not have recognised the plant, but he did keep hold of the essential facts of the situation. Well done, Mr. Weasley.


The Weasleys

Ron Weasley comes from a prominent pure-blood wizarding family. Despite their pedigree, the Weasleys have few material assets. Instead, they amass the intangibles of the spirit - loyalty, truth, love of family, and justice. It is said that the elder Mr. Weasley has even jeopardised his career at the Ministry by his unwillingness to be pragmatic about Muggle issues. Needless to say, they are all Gryffindor. The adult Weasley children have followed typical Gryffindor paths - working with exotic species, breaking curses. Even the black sheep of the family - the dropouts George and Fred - left school while nobly fighting a losing battle.

The third son, Percy, shows all the signs of a strong opposite cusp. Like Harry Potter, Percy Weasley is nearly half-Slytherin; but the results are very different. Lacking Harry's humility, Percy is gripped by ambition: he wants to raise the status of the Weasley name. Weasleys shall not be known anymore for poverty, or for impractical, shabby idealism: the Weasley name shall rise in the Ministry. Naturally, one must follow orders, conform to the organisational culture, follow the correct line. The proper efforts will certainly be rewarded.

In fact, Percy deceives himself - he thinks his Cause is the Weasleys, but he is rapidly becoming a slave to his own ambition. Already, in small ways, he betrays the family that he thinks he is serving. Unless circumstances change his course, some day he will find himself all Slytherin.


Hogwarts Housemasters

The selection policy of Hogwarts Heads of House has always been a matter for the Headmaster, and the school's fortunes fluctuate accordingly. Under Phineas Nigellus (Slytherin), for example, the policy was to select Heads who exemplified and promoted the pure spirit of their House. Ruthless ambition was encouraged in Slytherin, mindless heroism in Gryffindor, and obsessive scholarship in Ravenclaw. During this period Hogwarts produced large numbers of exceptional students and each House rose to its pinnacle of glory. Only Hufflepuff did not prosper, and their complaints of elitism were dismissed as the bleatings of the losing team. However, inter-House rivalry intensified during Nigellus's Headship, and record numbers of students were killed or maimed in duels or on the Quidditch field, or committed suicide.

The current policy, under Gryffindor-cusp-Hufflepuff Albus Dumbledore, could hardly be more different. House Heads are chosen for their ability to temper the spirit of their House and produce students with a more balanced outlook. Slytherin Severus Snape is rumoured (on somewhat mysterious grounds) to combine selfishness with dedication to an external ideal. If so, he is most likely to be a Slytherin-cusp-Gryffindor: an extremely difficult combination to manage, which undoubtedly explains his constantly spiteful short temper. Minerva McGonagall is very Gryffindor about her students, but very Ravenclaw about the rules. She is not a fan of heroism for its own sake.

Ministry commentators consider that Dumbledore's Hogwarts is a place that has lost its edge, and in some old wizarding families it has become the fashion to send their children to overseas academies for a final post-N.E.W.T. year. The ordinary wizard-in-the-street, though, can only be glad that his children are at school in such a nurturing environment.


The Great Four

With four such differing natures, why did the Founders of Hogwarts School come together, and how did their unlikely partnership prosper for so long? Although many of the personal records have been lost over the centuries, knowledge of the historical context allows us to speculate.

Times were hard for witches and wizards. Magic was anathema to the Church and secular authorities, and its practitioners regarded with suspicion and hatred by the populace. Isolation, loneliness and fear defined the lives of adult wizards as they traveled from place to place. Imagine four strangers, meeting by chance in the public room of a small-town inn, and trapped by bad weather - guarded comments become lively conversation as the night deepens. For the first time each recognises in others kindred spirits: talented, intelligent, magical people. They are kindled by the idea of a place where others like themselves can gather and learn. The four are united by a shared passion ... Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is born.

The Four were close companions during the school's early years, but with time they grew apart, for their common dream arose from very different roots. Helga saw the fitness of a supportive community, whereas Rowena was excited by the meeting of minds. Godric wished to shelter the persecuted, but Salazar - Salazar wanted to grow stronger than those other, lesser beings. In the end, it was Salazar's hatred of Muggles and his desire to achieve mastery over them which led to the final dissolution of this once-great partnership.


Competition: Match the Stars to Their Houses!
The Daily Prophet offers readers the chance to win the holiday of a lifetime in the demon-haunted Icelandic countryside...


... end ...
This story archived at http://lumos.sycophanthex.com/viewstory.php?sid=3215