Never Let Her Go by jynx67
Summary: He walks the battlefield at the end of the war, littered with the bodies of his comrades and enemies. He comes across the only other living soul left and realizes that they are the ones who must carry on.
Categories: Drama, Pureblood, Angst Characters: Draco Malfoy, Luna Lovegood
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 852 Read: 427 Published: 09/28/2008 Updated: 09/28/2008

1. Chapter 1 by jynx67

Chapter 1 by jynx67
Author's Notes:
A/N: This story has a very unusual pairing included in it. Someone challenged me to write a story with these two characters and put them together feasibly. I hope I succeeded.
Never Let Her Go
by jynx 67





The battlefield was littered with dead bodies. I walked among my peers, my enemies, my schoolmates, my... my friends. I couldn't believe I had survived this ordeal while so many others had perished. Why me? Why did I survive?

My hands were shaking as I rolled over another body dressed in a black cloak. Long, blonde hair fell out from the hood and I scurried back as I realized who it was. "Mummy?" I stumbled to my knees as the tears poured from my eyes. How could she be here? I thought she was safe at home. After a few more moments, I stood and wiped my sleeve over my eyes. This was not the time to mourn. This was the time to see who has survived.

I continue walking towards the middle of the war zone. The closer I got, the more people I recognized. The Weasel twins were lying near Blaise Zabini. It looked like Blaise was tougher than I thought, having been taken down by two of the blood traitors. I saw Granger and the other Weasel. It looked like he was trying to protect her. How noble of the git. All it did was kill them both.

A sound came to my ear, one of complete and utter sadness. I looked around for the one crying and saw her. Her silver hair fell over her face, obscuring it from view. I recognized her immediately, Loony Lovegood. I slowly made my way over, hoping not to alert her to my presence. She was stooped over two bodies, two bodies I knew. One was the female Weasley, Ginny. The other... the other was my greatest enemy, Harry Potter. The corners of my mouth quirked up into a smile. He's finally dead. My eyes searched nearby for the Dark Lord. I blinked, stunned as I saw a large burn mark at the very center of the devastation.

"Who's there?" Luna called out, lifting her head as I stepped on a twig. I saw that her eyes were swollen from crying as she looked at me. She raised her wand, hand shaking. "St-stay away. You've done enough damage."

My brow furrowed in confusion. I had nothing to do with this.

"They're all dead because of you," she said, rising to her feet unsteadily. "It's your fault. You killed Dumbledore."

"Oh please," I snorted. "You can't think that the old geezer being alive would have changed this outcome?"

"Take that back!" She dropped her wand and threw herself at me, battering me with her fists. I'd never really taken notice of her before, how small and fragile she truly was. I grasped her wrists gently so as not to hurt her. She burst into tears, burying her head against my chest.

"They're gone, they're all gone," she screamed. "There's no one left. I'm all alone!"

"You aren't alone. I'm here." I was offended that she would say that. After all, I was standing right in front of her.

"But you're the enemy."

I looked around the battlefield. "Enemy? There's no-bloody-body left! It's just you and me!"

Her normally bright, yet unfocused eyes looked up into mine. They were dim, yet very intense. She looked so utterly hopeless. I watched her intake air and then she did something I didn't expect.

She screamed.

I flinched at the ear-piercing noise. Was she screaming for help? Screaming at me? Or just screaming to release all her emotions? I'd done all three before, but I couldn't tell which she was doing. So, I did the only thing I could.

I wrapped my arms around her.

Her body was shaking violently against me. She couldn't scream while I held her close, I swore I'd never let her go. That was the only thing I could think of to say or do. Suddenly, I felt a bond with this girl, one I'd never expected in all my life.

We were the last known survivors of the battle between Voldemort and The Boy Who Lived. We had to move on, rebuild what had once been, start anew and make things right. I reached up and brushed her hair back from her face, kissing her forehead softly. Her shuddering had lessened and her cries had turned to sniffles. "Don't worry, Luna," I said softly. "I'll take care of you."

"I trust you, Draco," she replied. "I have to trust you. You are all that I have."

She was right. We were all that each other had. And with that, we had to trust one another implicitly. I pulled her to me and looked around at the devastation caused by the war, the war I never wanted to be a part of, the war that had caused me to lose everything. Or had it?

I looked down into her eyes, my own soft and caring for once. I had to let her know I could be trusted. "Let's go," I said, my voice cracking as I tried to hold back my own emotions. She nodded and held onto me tightly as I Apparated us away.
This story archived at http://lumos.sycophanthex.com/viewstory.php?sid=4145