Unexpected by Andrian
Summary: An unexpected letter changes Remus' outlook
Categories: Wolfsbane Characters: Remus Lupin
Genres: Drabble, General
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 588 Read: 462 Published: 09/30/2008 Updated: 09/30/2008

1. Chapter 1 by Andrian

Chapter 1 by Andrian
Climbing out of the small cellar, Remus stumbled over to the sink. Pumping the old rusty pump, he filled cup after cup with water, drinking it down in huge gulps as it sloshed over his bare chest. After his thirst was quenched he threw on the patched robes that had been carefully draped across the chair at the small table. Sitting down, he ran a trembling hand through his graying hair and sighed heavily.

He wondered how the Order fared last night. They had been ready to strike against the Death Eaters and no matter how he longed to be with them, it was not to be. Dumbledore had decided they could not wait.

‘How useless I am,’ he thought bitterly, picking up a stale piece of bread from the plate in the center of the table. He had to rest before he could Apparate to Headquarters. Usually he wasn’t able to use much magic for several hours after the transformation.

The stoic façade that he always wore slipped. In the privacy of his ran down flat, Remus allowed the tears of frustration to slowly run down his face. He had often thought of just leaving, not saying a word. When the war was over, if he were still alive, he would do that. He was tired of not having a place in this world.

A tapping at the window brought him out of his musings. Hurrying over, he let the owl in, anxious to read the letter in case it was word of the fight. The address on the letter gave him pause, ‘Professor Lupin’. Curious, he sat down and opened the letter.

Dear Professor Lupin,

This is just a short note to thank you and to apologize for my behavior towards you when you were a teacher at Hogwarts. When you were my DADA in my third year I was a follower of those my parents thought worthy of admiration and I am sorry for the horrible things I said about and to you.

And yet you treated me with respect and believed in me. For the first time someone thought I was a capable person, not just a lump of muscles good only for bullying. When you offered to help me after class to catch up with the others, I mocked and ridiculed you for that. But still you did and I am forever grateful. Over the last years I have often thought of how you were willing to help me and treated me as a bright intelligent boy instead of a dimwit.

I just wanted to let you know that you gave me the courage to do what I have done today. It would have been easy for you to give up given that you are a werewolf and are forced to live like an animal and yet I know you are still the same Professor Lupin. My father has said as much. The group you belong to have thwarted his group many times.

Today I am seventeen and I have left the country. I didn’t run because I am a coward but because I do not want to become a Death Eater as my father would have me be. I am willing to fight against them and stand up for myself for once in my life.

I just wanted you to know this and to say thank you.

Gregory Goyle


Several hours later everyone was surprised and pleased when Remus arrived at Headquarters for lunch, looking rested and determined.
This story archived at http://lumos.sycophanthex.com/viewstory.php?sid=4422