Author’s notes: Thanks again to Ginnysdarkside and Swishandflick (GDS did double duty this time!). Thank also to everyone who has reviewed so far. Harry finally goes back to school!


A Cord of Three Strands
By Cindale
Chapter 3
“Changes”


“Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

Ecclesiastes 4:12


“It looked as though they were having dinner when they were attacked,” Remus said in a bitter voice. “There wasn’t any sign of a struggle, so they must have killed the boys first, knowing that their parents couldn’t fight back.”

Harry buried his head in his hands and fought down his nausea. Colin and Dennis Creevey had been fellow Gryffindors and DA members. Even though Colin could get annoying at times with his camera and his hero worship, he had rather liked him. The thought that Voldemort had had them killed simply because they were Muggle-born made his hands clench into fists of anger. “Why the Creeveys?” he finally managed to ask.

“It appears the Death Eaters chose several homes at random to attack simultaneously. They must have gotten the names and addresses from a spy in the Ministry.”

“There were other attacks?” he whispered, his eyes widened in horror.

Remus sighed heavily. “The Rodmans were killed – their daughter Melanie would have been a first year this year,” he said in a monotone. “The Miller’s house was destroyed, but thankfully they weren’t home. Kevin will be a third year Hufflepuff – do you know him?” Harry shook his head. “Ted and Andromeda Tonks’s house was destroyed, but they were warned – that’s the one Severus was assigned to.”

“Tonks the Auror? Her parents? Is she okay?”

“Yes – she has her own flat in London. She’s understandably upset, though.” Remus took a sip of his tea and focused on a spot on the kitchen table. “The Muggles are calling them terrorist attacks,” he continued. “They’re right. Voldemort is essentially a terrorist, using violence to make his point and hoping to eventually overthrow the government. I’m sure he’ll experience a surge in membership after this round of strikes. People are scared. And the attack on the Weasleys shows that he’s not afraid to hit pureblood families.”

Harry nodded mutely while he tried to process this information, his thoughts whirling so quickly he felt dizzy. So much death, so much destruction. One thought surfaced: He had to kill Voldemort quickly. He had to train harder, faster, so he could be prepared as soon as possible. He had to redouble his efforts.

Remus looked up at Harry and took another swallow of tea before breaking the silence. “Well, this is likely to be my last visit of the summer since the Full Moon is next week. You need to decide which classes you’re taking so I can pick up your books.” Harry started a little at the sudden change of topic, but gladly shifted his focus, causing the dizziness to fade. Remus passed Harry an envelope from Hogwarts. Harry broke the seal, pulled out the parchment, and scanned the contents quickly with a gasp.

“I-I d-didn’t think I’d be allowed in Potions,” he stammered.

“Why not?”

“I heard Snape only accepted students who got an “O” on their O.W.L into his N.E.W.T.-level class.”

Remus smiled. “That explains why he’s been in such a foul mood lately – more than usual. Dumbledore must have told him he had to accept E’s. Advanced Potions is required for acceptance into the Auror training program and Merlin knows we need as many Auror candidates as possible.” He gave Harry a questioning look. “Is that what you had in mind?”

“Yeah,” Harry said with a nod. He couldn’t help the happy feeling bubbling up inside him, although it was tempered a bit by guilt that he could feel happy at all after the recent Death Eater attacks.

With Remus’s help, Harry decided he should take the four classes he would need to be accepted into Auror training, as well as Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures. Harry held the letter from Hogwarts in front of his face and spoke the names of the selected classes aloud, and the class list disappeared from the parchment, to be replaced with a book list. Remus pocketed it to take to Flourish and Blotts before the Full Moon.

“Okay, next on the agenda is Quidditch,” Remus stated. “Professor McGonagall wanted you for the captain this year, but she’s afraid you’ve already got too much going on.”

“I’m to be allowed back on the team?”

Remus laughed lightly. “Dumbledore got your lifetime ban reduced to a two game suspension, which you’ve already served.”

Harry couldn’t repress a huge grin at the thought of playing Quidditch again. “What about Katie for the captain?” he asked.

“I’m not sure of Minerva’s exact reasons, but I heard the words ‘unfocused’ and ‘boy-crazy’ muttered in conjunction with Katie’s name,” Remus said with a smirk. “She’s asked Ron to be the captain. I don’t think she’s forgotten how he beat her chess game during his first year. She thinks he’ll be good at strategy.”

Harry nodded in agreement; he had never managed to beat Ron at chess, even after five years. As long as Ron could maintain the confidence he had gained during the championship game the year before, he should be a brilliant captain. “Let me write a note for you to take to him. I want to congratulate him, and if I know him, he’ll be worried that I’ll be upset.”

*****************************************

Kingsley Shacklebolt arrived with three other Aurors at ten fifty on September first to escort Harry to King’s Cross. Shacklebolt gave the password before asking, “Have you got everything?” The other three never stopped looking around, alert for any possible threats.

“Yeah,” Harry said, shouldering a small knapsack. He had sent his trunk with other Aurors earlier. “Where’s Remus?” he asked.

Harry thought Shacklebolt looked uncomfortable for a moment. “He was held up,” he said after a pause. Harry nodded, and Shacklebolt looked around. “Okay, listen. There’s a little alley behind King’s Cross – do you know it?” Harry nodded again with a tiny smile, remembering Mr. Weasley’s Ford Anglia. “Good. We’re all going to Apparate into that alley together, as soon as I check it out. Understand?”

“Yeah.”

Shacklebolt nodded once and Disapparated. After about thirty seconds, he reappeared, and the four positioned themselves around Harry, wands held ready. Shacklebolt counted to three. Harry concentrated briefly and suddenly found himself in a deserted alley with the four Aurors. After a murmured command from Shacklebolt, they slowly made their way into the station. By the time they got to the entrance to Platform nine and three-quarters, Harry felt rather silly to be surrounded by a guard, as they encountered no problems at all.

The platform itself was deserted, except for the eight Aurors guarding the train. Harry realized that the protection was not only for him, but for all the students on the train. The Ministry must have realized that the Hogwarts Express might make an appealing target to Voldemort’s followers. Since it was a few minutes past departure time, all the students were on the train and the parents had been cleared out. Harry gulped when he saw that the windows were full of faces peering at him. He already had enough attention at school; his manner of arrival at the station wouldn’t help matters any.

The four adults climbed into the front of the train with Harry, followed by the eight Aurors who had been on guard. He had a small moment of panic; surely the Aurors weren’t going to sit with him on the train! But Shacklebolt turned to him, smiling, “Okay, Harry, you’re safe now. We’ll be riding the train – just in case – but you can go find your friends.”

“Thanks, Professor Shacklebolt.” Harry sighed in relief and headed down the corridor.

The Aurors were sitting in the compartment usually occupied by the prefects, so Harry set off to look for Ron and Hermione. Even though he was hoping they had managed to save an empty compartment so the three of them could talk privately, he was a little nervous about talking to Ron. His friend hadn’t mentioned Percy’s death in his letters at all, and Harry was afraid he might blame him.

In the first few compartments he passed, he could see faces through the windows, but not those of his friends. The next one appeared to be empty, but he knew if they were sitting close to the door he wouldn’t be able to see them through the window, so he slid the door open cautiously.

The identity of the lone occupant surprised Harry; Draco Malfoy was usually surrounded by his gang of bullying Slytherins. Harry’s disgust at seeing his nemesis was quickly overcome by curiosity as Malfoy instinctively looked up to see who was at the door. The Slytherin’s cheeks were red and his eyes were puffy. If Harry hadn’t known it was completely impossible, he would have sworn Malfoy had been crying. He watched as the vulnerable expression faded from the blonde’s eyes and was replaced with anger and hatred. Harry suddenly realized he was staring and shut the door before the Slytherin had a chance to say anything.

As the train gave a lurch, he opened another door and found a couple snogging enthusiastically. He murmured, “Sorry,” and began to close the door, but froze when the two teenagers stopped kissing and turned toward him.

“H-Harry!” Hermione sputtered as she and Ron sprang apart. “This is not how we meant for you to find out.” Ron seemed incapable of speech, so Hermione blundered on. “I mean … we were going to tell you … first thing … but you were late getting here … and we hadn’t seen each other all summer…”

Without dropping his gaze from the couple, Harry closed the door behind him and sank into a seat across from them, his thoughts in a whirl. He had known Ron fancied Hermione for a long time, but he had no idea she felt the same. It seemed his two best friends were always arguing, and Hermione had spent a lot of time writing to Viktor Krum the previous year.

It suddenly occurred to him that he hadn’t been witnessing their first kiss. “How long?” he managed to ask.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other with the familiar look that said they were afraid he was going to lose his temper. Hermione suddenly stood up and opened the door. “Why don’t you two have a chat? I’ll go find out if we’re going to have a prefect meeting on the train – the Aurors are taking up our regular compartment.”

Harry wondered if they had planned for Hermione to leave Ron to talk to him alone, but he found he didn’t mind; it made him feel less awkward. As she shut the door behind her, he looked at Ron, whose eyes were wide in fear. He took pity on his friend and said, “Look, mate, I’m not mad. I’m just a little hurt that you didn’t tell me sooner.”

He watched Ron’s face relax into a small grin. “Good. We really didn’t want it to hurt our friendship with you. I was a little afraid that you might fancy her yourself. I mean, who wouldn’t?”

Harry suppressed a laugh at Ron’s lovesick expression and shook his head. “No, I don’t feel that way about her. I think it’s brilliant that you’re together. But when did it happen?”

Ron sighed, and his eyes glazed over slightly as he looked at a spot on the wall near Harry. Harry restrained himself, with difficulty, from rolling his eyes. “It was right after the Department of Mysteries, when we were both confined to the hospital wing. I mean, she almost died that night, and I realized I couldn’t waste any more time. I told her I … how I felt about her. I was shocked she felt the same way – I had no idea.”

Harry nodded, both to agree that he’d had no idea either and to encourage Ron to continue.

“We didn’t tell you because … well … Sirius had just … and we thought it seemed so … petty in comparison. And then over the summer … well … we wanted to tell you in person. This isn’t the kind of thing you put in a letter.” Ron turned his gaze back to Harry, his expression begging him to understand.

Harry fought down his annoyance and nodded. “That makes sense,” he said with a smile. “Don’t worry about it.”

They both looked up as Hermione slid the door open, wearing a tense expression. She relaxed visibly after searching both of their faces and then crossed the compartment to resume her place next to Ron. He put his hand over hers, and she turned her palm up so they could interlace their fingers.

“We’re not having a prefect meeting today,” she said. “There’s not an empty compartment on the train because of the Aurors. But guess what I heard?” She continued without giving them a chance to guess. “Malfoy and Parkinson aren’t prefects any more.”

“Cool!” said Ron, beaming. “That’s the best news I’ve heard all day.”

“I wonder why,” said Harry, narrowing his eyes slightly and tilting his head.

“Isn’t it obvious?” asked Ron, looking at him in surprise. “Look what Malfoy’s father is.”

“Dumbledore knew Lucius Malfoy was a Death Eater last year, and he made Malfoy a prefect,” Harry protested. “Besides, I don’t think he would punish a student for something his parent did.”

“And that wouldn’t explain about Pansy,” Hermione said. “I think it’s because they abused their authority last year. And it doesn’t help that they were part of Umbridge’s Inquisitional Squad.”

“That would make more sense,” agreed Harry. “Who’s taking their place?”

“Blaise Zabini and Daphne Greengrass.” Harry nodded, but didn’t comment. He didn’t know much about either of the new Slytherin prefects.

They spent the rest of the train ride discussing the summer’s events and speculating about the upcoming school year. Harry and Ron discovered they were taking the same classes, and Hermione would still have most of her classes with them. She had, however, decided to drop Care of Magical Creatures in favour of Arithmancy and had also decided to continue Ancient Runes.

Harry finally worked up the courage to attempt to express his sympathy to Ron about Percy. As he spoke, Ron’s face hardened into a mixture of grief and anger, so he dropped the topic quickly. Hermione gave Ron a concerned look, but didn’t say anything. Harry wondered if he should ask her about it privately later.

Quidditch was a much safer topic. Ron was so enthusiastic about being captain that Harry was unpleasantly reminded of Angelina and Oliver. He decided that being made Quidditch captain must turn ordinary humans into monsters. Hermione finally breathed a small sigh of exasperation and, without letting go of Ron’s hand, reached into her trunk to pull out a book.

Finally the train began to slow, and they scrambled to collect their possessions. After they disembarked, Ron and Hermione went ahead to get a carriage while Harry paused to greet Hagrid. As he walked away from the huge gamekeeper, he heard a familiar voice in his ear.

“Merlin! Hermione has really developed over the summer, hasn’t she?” He turned to face Dean Thomas and gave him a puzzled look. “You hadn’t noticed?” the boy asked incredulously.

Harry turned his gaze to the carriage where Ron and Hermione were waiting. He gulped as he realized Hermione’s robes fit more tightly across her chest this year, forced the thought away, and turned back to Dean. “You’d better not let Ron hear you say that,” he told him. “They’re an item now.”

“Too bad,” said Dean with obvious regret. “I was thinking of asking her out.”

“I thought you were going out with Ginny,” said Harry. He noticed that Neville had joined them and was listening intently while trying to appear that he wasn’t.

“Not anymore,” Dean replied with a shrug. “I don’t do relationships by owl post too well.”

The three boys crawled into the carriage Ron and Hermione were saving and chatted happily as it rumbled toward the castle. As they disembarked at the school’s entrance, Harry had a sudden thought and drew Dean aside. “Is your family protected? I mean … after the attacks this summer … I wondered.”

Dean’s normally pleasant face grew a little fearful. “Yeah,” he said. “Some Ministry people came and arranged something with my parents. They’ll be okay.” Harry noticed he didn’t look completely convinced.

“What about Seamus? I haven’t seen him?”

Dean looked down and shrugged. “Last I heard from him, his father didn’t want him to come back and his mum was trying to talk him into it. I didn’t see him on the train, so I guess …”

Professor McGonagall and the first years were coming up the stairs toward them, so they hurried into the Great Hall and took their seats at the Gryffindor table. Harry looked up and down the table and swallowed a lump in his throat as he noticed all the empty seats. Seamus was absent, as well as the Creevey brothers, and Harry thought there might be a few others missing. He looked around the Great Hall and realized all the house tables seemed to be emptier than usual. The line of first years trailing in behind Professor McGonagall was the shortest it had ever been. Harry couldn’t help thinking of the little girl who had been killed who should have been in that line.

An elbow in the ribs from Ron pulled him out of his musings. “Look at Malfoy,” said Ron.

Harry followed his gaze. Malfoy was sitting alone at the end of the Slytherin table, as far as possible from his housemates. Harry narrowed his eyes, puzzled, and looked for Crabbe and Goyle. They weren’t difficult to spot; they were at the other end of the table, sitting with the rest of the sixth years. “Weird,” he said aloud. He turned to Ron. “You know, he was alone on the train, too.” He decided not to tell Ron about the vulnerable expression he had observed on the Slytherin’s face.

“Maybe his friends have finally wised up and realized what a git he is,” Ron speculated.

“Maybe …” Harry began, but trailed off as a rip appeared near the brim of the Sorting Hat.


“I may look like an ancient hat
Meant for the rubbish bin,
But try me on and I will see
Your secrets held within.
The founders gave me intellect
To choose where you should go
Based on the traits they value most
I’m always sure to know.
You may belong in Ravenclaw
With those who love to learn.
You may belong in Slytherin
With whom ambition burns.
You may belong in Hufflepuff
With those who try their best.
You may belong in Gryffindor
Where courage is the test.
I have to sort you in a House;
But just because I do
That doesn’t mean you can’t make friends
In other houses too.
You might find that a Ravenclaw
Has bravery to spare.
A Slytherin who loves his books
Might not be very rare.
A Hufflepuff might actually
Have cunning in his soul.
And sometimes a bold Gryffindor
Works to achieve his goal.”



The song continued, but Harry found his attention wavering. He let his gaze wander around the room, trying to determine whether any of the DA members or Quidditch players were among the missing students. He found his eyes returning to Malfoy, wondering what had happened to make the most popular Slytherin isolate himself from his housemates. He looked up, as if sensing Harry’s stare, and his eyes burned with such hatred that Harry felt compelled to look away. Harry felt a little disturbed by the intensity of Malfoy’s loathing, but also felt a little relieved that his enemy hadn’t changed too much.

“Yeah, right,” said Ron, snapping Harry out of his reverie. The Sorting Hat’s song had ended and Professor McGonagall had read the first name. Harry shook his head a little and focused on Ron. “Like I’d ever be friends with a Slytherin.”

“I wouldn’t,” Harry agreed, remembering the Sorting Hat’s words.

“I think the Sorting Hat made a good point,” said Hermione. “House rivalries seem stupid with a war on.”

“Not if the Slytherins are the enemies in the war,” Ron protested. “Aren’t most of their parents Death Eaters? I think the whole lot of them should be chucked out of Hogwarts. They’re probably passing information to You-Know-Who.”

“That’s ridiculous,” said Hermione. “What would they tell him? Who’s going out with whom? Who makes the best grades?”

“He knew who to attack this summer,” said Harry in a quiet voice. “Someone told him Ron is my best friend.”

Hermione and Ron stared at Harry but said nothing. Mercifully the awkward moment was interrupted by the end of the Sorting.

McGonagall carried the stool and Sorting Hat out of the room as all attention turned to the Headmaster. Harry noticed he looked tired and his eyes had lost the twinkle he was accustomed to. However, he still seemed to radiate power as he stood, smiled, and spread his arms wide. “Welcome, one and all!” he said. “I have some announcements, but they can wait until we are all fed and watered. Tuck in!”

The table magically filled with food, and the feast began. Harry silently piled his plate with roast beef, potatoes, and carrots and began to eat. He glanced at Ron and Hermione, but they both appeared to be avoiding his eyes.

A sudden voice beside him made him spit out a mouthful of beef. He wiped at the mess with a napkin and said, “Yes, Sir Nicholas?” trying to keep the exasperation out of his tone.

The ghost dragged his eyes away from the food and regarded Harry mournfully. “The Headmaster wishes to speak to you after dinner. He wants you to go to his office before retiring to Gryffindor Tower.”

Harry finished chewing a bite of potato and swallowed. “Okay – thanks.”

Sir Nicholas nodded once and then floated down the aisle toward the first years.

“What was that about?” asked Ron.

“I don’t know,” Harry answered. Then he had a sudden thought. “Maybe it’s about Remus.”

“Remus?” asked Hermione.

“Yeah. He was supposed to ride the train with me today. He didn’t show up.”

“He’s probably fine,” Hermione said, obviously trying for a reassuring tone, although her expression was worried. “Probably just out on … business.” She looked around furtively, and Harry knew she meant business for the Order of the Phoenix.

At this point Neville, who had been talking to Dean, turned to Ron and said, “I heard you’re Quidditch Captain. Who do you think will try out this year?”

Harry stifled a chuckle as Hermione rolled her eyes and turned his attention to his favourite topic. There was enough Quidditch speculation to last the remainder of dinner, and he felt relieved that the events of the summer were no longer being discussed.

When the puddings disappeared from the table, silence fell over the room as Dumbledore got to his feet again. “First, I believe it is only fitting that we raise our glasses in memory of those of our number who fell as casualties of war during the summer holidays.” The Gryffindor table was especially sombre as everyone raised their glasses and drank to Colin and Dennis Creevey. A few of the fifth year girls were crying, including Ginny. Harry felt tears stinging his eyes as he set his cup down and looked at his lap to hide them.

After a moment of silence and a melancholy sigh, the Headmaster wiped his left eye with his fingers and continued. “Mr. Filch has asked me to inform you that his prohibited items list has been expanded to include anything manufactured by Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.” Harry heard Ron snicker next to him and couldn’t restrain a small smile. “I also need to inform our new students and remind our returning students that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all students.”

“Moving on to more pleasant topics – The Ministry of Magic has repealed all of the Educational Decrees which were passed during the last school year.” A vast cheer went up at this announcement; only the Slytherins seemed disappointed.

“I am happy to say that Professor McGonagall has recovered completely from her injuries and is returning to her teaching and Deputy Headmistress duties.” Enthusiastic applause greeted this statement, especially from the Gryffindor table. “In addition, I’m pleased to welcome back Professor Hagrid. He will continue as our Care of Magical Creatures instructor as well as gamekeeper.” The applause was not quite as eager this time, but Hagrid raised his goblet in acknowledgement, anyway. “Finally, I would like to introduce our new Defence Against the Dark Arts instructor, Professor Kingsley Shacklebolt.” Shacklebolt stood up halfway and waved, acknowledging the fervent applause. Apparently, word had travelled that the new professor was an Auror.

“Well,” Dumbledore said with a huge smile, “that concludes our Welcoming Feast. I will see all of you in the morning.”

“See you later, mate,” Ron murmured as he and Hermione stood up quickly to help lead the first years to the Gryffindor dormitory.

Harry sighed and made his way against the crush of students to the front of the Hall and slipped out the side door. He climbed the stairs to the second floor and walked quickly to the familiar stone gargoyle, which, to his surprise, sprung aside without the password. Obviously Dumbledore had told the statue to admit him. When he reached the top of the spiral staircase, he found the Headmaster’s door standing open.

“Come in, Harry,” said Dumbledore from the chair behind his desk. “Please, take a seat.”

“You wanted to see me, sir?” Harry asked politely as he sat in a chair.

“Yes,” said the Headmaster with a grave expression. “It’s about Remus.”