Chapter 9: Hermione




For what seemed to be the hundredth time, Hermione looked at herself in the mirror. Ginny had helped her with her hair. It hung in tight ringlets around her head. The periwinkle blue dress she wore accented her natural beauty. She was very nervous. How were her friends going to react when they saw whom had asked her to the Ball? How was Ron going to react?

She closed her eyes and shook all thoughts of Ron from her head. He was the lazy git who had waited until the last moment to ask anyone to go. She threw back her shoulders and lifted her head proudly. Satisfied with the visage before her, she moved to the stairs. It sounded like the last of the students were leaving.

She waited a moment before coming down the stairs. It was quiet in the common room, the only sound being the crackling of the fire. She paused at the back of the Fat Lady's portrait and took a deep breath to steel her nerves. Stepping through, she gently pushed the picture frame back against the wall.

"Oh my, don't you look quite lovely. That color really brings out your eyes."

Hermione turned to see the Fat Lady watching her approvingly. She was even dressed for the Ball, looking quite dapper in a peach dress. "You look very nice as well."

She smiled and pirouetted, showing off her dress. "Sir Cadogan has offered to take me down to watch. I thought I should look my best." She lowered her voice and leaned towards Hermione. "I understand that you are being escorted by that Bulgarian lad. He's quite a handsome one, isn't he?" She fanned herself as she blushed.

The young Gryffindor also turned a bit pink. "Yes, he is handsome. I better go," she said as she moved off down the hall.

"Do have a wonderful time, dear," the Fat Lady called to her, waving enthusiastically. "I want to hear all the details!"

Hermione huffed and rolled her eyes as she continued towards the Great Hall. Down the hall, Sir Nicholas was floating towards her. "Good evening," he said as she passed.

"Good evening, Sir Nicholas," she replied as she kept going.

The ghost stopped. He recognized that voice, yet her face looked quite different. Turning, he floated back towards her. "Excuse me, but you sound just like Miss Granger."

"That could be because I am Miss Granger."

He moved around in front of her, causing her to stop. Peering into her face, his eyes widened. "Why, it is you, Hermione. You look completely different."

She flushed slightly. "Thank you. If you will excuse me, I am late for the Ball."

He moved to the side and bowed formally. "Oh yes, pardon me. I am sure you will be the belle of the Ball, Miss Granger. Have a wonderful time."

Her cheeks turned redder. "Thank you, Sir." She hurried to the stairs and quickly made her way down to the landing. Her pulse was beating rapidly as she looked down to see lots of students milling about. She hitched up her skirt slightly and walked slowly down the stairs.

Viktor met her at the bottom and took her hand. "You look very beautiful, Hermy-own." Krum said as they took their position near the door.

"It's Hermione," she said, trying to help him pronounce her name correctly. "And thank you." They walked to a position behind Professor Karkaroff with the rest of the Durmstrang students.

Professor McGonagall called the champions over to prepare them for their entrance. Hermione was smiling brightly at the others. Fleur looked nice, however she wondered if the girl ever didn't look nice. Cho Chang and Cedric Diggory looked stunning together. And then there was Harry. His hair had been combed, yet it still stuck up at odd angles. Pavarti looked very nice, but then again, she and her sister cared more about their appearance than anything. "Hi Harry! Hi Pavarti!" she said in greeting. Harry's mouth was wide open and there was a slight look of shock on Pavarti's face as well.

The doors to the Great Hall opened, allowing the students entrance. Her eyes scanned the crowd passing. She smirked as Pansy Parkinson scowled from Draco's side. But Ron passed without a glance. After everyone was settled, Professor McGonagall led them into the room.

It was decorated brilliantly, like a winter wonderland. Krum escorted her up to the Champions' table and helped her into her seat. Dinner appeared when one asked for what he or she wished to eat. She spent most of her time trying to teach Krum how to pronounce her name and listening to him tell her about his school. It wasn't really that interesting, so her eyes wandered over the tables of students.

She saw Ginny sitting with Neville. They looked like they were having a wonderful time. Near them sat Ron. He was glaring directly at her, his face somber. She was taken aback by the look on his face. What was wrong with him?

"Herm-own-ninny, may I have this dance?"

She shook herself out of her reverie and looked up at Viktor. "Oh yes, of course." Taking his hand, she allowed him to lead her to the dance floor. The outside world disappeared as he placed one hand in hers and the other on her waist. She could hear the music, the beat, but otherwise, it was just Krum and her. She smiled broadly, happily, as he spun her around the room. For the first time ever, she felt peaceful.

After a while, they decided it was time for a drink. She told him she was going to speak to Harry and Ron. He headed off to get punch. "Hi!" she said as she sat down beside Harry. "Isn't this great fun?"

"Right," Ron mumbled. "You and your precious Krum are having a grand time."

Her brow furrowed, wondering just what had gotten into Ron. "What's going on?"

"Well, if you don't know, I'm not telling." He crossed his arms and sulked even more.

She looked at Harry for help, yet he only shrugged. "You're daft, Ron. Completely." She fanned herself and sat back.

"Yes, I'm daft, but at least I'm not fraternizing with the enemy." He huffed and turned away from her.

Hermione's eyes widened in shock. "Enemy? What are you going on about? Weren't you the one who was worshiping him not six months ago? You're the one who wants his autograph, not me."

They continued to argue and Hermione grew even angrier. How could Ron continue to slander Viktor and herself! She jumped to her feet and stormed from the room, leaving Ron, Harry and everyone else behind.

Climbing the stairs back to the Gryffindor dormitory, she began to think. She didn't understand why Ron was acting like a complete git about Viktor. It wasn't as if she and Krum talked about anything. He mostly sat and watched her study. She wasn't helping him with the second task. It wasn't even as if she really liked him.

Flopping on the couch, she stared at the flickering flames of the fire. Ron was so thick sometimes. But why should she care? Sighing, she realized that she liked him... a lot. Thickness and all. Perhaps when he came back to the common room, they could have a civil talk about the whole ordeal.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Ron entered the room, saw her and immediately began accusing her again. Their discussion was quite heated with nobody around to stop them. Finally fed up with his nonsense, Hermione put her foot down. "The next time there's a ball, ask me before someone else does and not as a last resort!" She stormed off towards her room leaving a completely stunned Ron behind.




---------------------------




Hermione's eyes snapped open. Why had she just dreamed about the Yule Ball? Her mind wandered back to when she had gotten up the stairs. She had laid on her bed for what seemed like forever, trying to figure out Ron. Two years later, she realized he had finally figured it out.

Ron really was a thick git, but he was her thick git. She loved him so much, more than she loved Harry. If anything was going to happen, she wished it to happen to her and neither of them. She wouldn't be able to go on without either on of them.

Looking at the photo beside her bed, the one of the three of them together taken first year, she remembered all the good times and bad. She was determined to make more good times happen for as long as she could.