Chapter 8: Molly and Arthur




Molly Prewett felt very uncomfortable. It wasn't the dress robes or the horrid shoes on her feet that were causing her stress. It was the place, her aunt and uncle's home. She had come at the behest of her favorite cousin, Andromeda. Andie was a teenager, just a few years younger than her, and didn't understand her family at all. Of course, neither did Molly.

She wandered out into the gardens. Her Auntie's young sons, Sirius and Regulus, were preoccupying the adults. They were at the perfect age to entertain, five and three. They were sweet boys when they weren't around their mother and father. Around their parents, they were prim and proper purebloods. Molly shook her head sadly, appalled that anyone would force a child that young to act that way. Let them be boys, for Merlin's sake! She swore that if she ever had any children, she would never force them to act like adults.

She found herself out near the edge of the gardens where there was a small pool full of colorful fish. The water was charmed to stay warm all year long, providing a place to sit in peace. She carefully sat on the bench and slipped off her shoes, dipping her toes into the water. She sighed in delight at the warmth.

One thing she had to admit about her aunt was that the woman had taste. The gardens were beautiful, full of flowers that bloomed year round. There were high bushes at the edge to keep outsiders from coming in. Several old trees stood in different spots around the garden. Beside where she was sitting was an ancient oak. It looked regal, reaching up towards the dark sky speckled with stars. Molly loved this garden. It made her feel so free.

There was a rustling sound nearby and she looked around suspiciously. "Who's there?" she queried to the darkness.

A lanky redhead leapt down from the tree beside her. She easily recognized him and smiled. "Arthur Weasley! How did you get in here?"

He grinned lopsidedly, a trait she absolutely adored about him. Moving over to her side, he sat on the bench with her. She noticed he was wearing a brown suit, much like what a Muggle would wear. His tie, however, was maroon and gold, his Gryffindor tie from school. She smiled in admiration. "I had to see you, Molly," he said with his own smile plastered on his freckled face. "It is Christmas after all."

"If you were to be caught..." She was horrified that he was risking his life being here, but she was also very happy to see him.

"I promise I won't." He took her hands in his and looked into her bright blue eyes. "Molly, I've missed you so much. It's hard to believe that the last time I saw you was on your birthday, the first Hogsmeade trip of the year."

She looked down shyly, remembering how excited she had been to see him in Madam Puddifoot's. He had bought her a cake, Cherries Jubilee, her favorite, and given her a beautiful necklace. Reaching up to her neck, she fingered the necklace fondly. "Yes, that was grand fun."

"I've been working hard since then and have done quite a bit of thinking." He was about to continue when his head snapped up. There was someone coming. "Excuse me a moment, dearest." He leapt up and ran to hide behind some holly bushes.

Molly looked up to see Andromeda wandering towards her. She smiled and waved, sneaking a glance to see if Arthur was well hidden. "Were you looking for me?"

"Of course." Andromeda grinned. "Did you get tired of all the hubbub? I am so sick and tired of my sisters. Bella is giving me a headache. She's been flirting with Rodolphus Lestrange all night, and Cissy, goodness, she hasn't left Lucius Malfoy's side. I understand they are betrothed, but still. I haven't touched Nott, the greasy little git. I've also noticed you've avoided your betrothed as well."

She sighed. "Yes, I just don't want to get ahead of anything." Besides, Goyle was as dumb as a post. They had absolutely nothing in common. She pat the bench beside her, silently telling her cousin to sit. "You and I are different, Andie. We aren't like the rest of our family. You're in Ravenclaw and I'm in Gryffindor. We just don't fit in."

Andromeda sighed. "Don't I know it." She jumped up from the bench, smiling. "Mum and Dad said you could come home with us. We'll be leaving in a little while. Just meet us in the foyer."

Molly nodded and watched her walk off down the path. "Oh," she said turning around. "And do tell Mr. Weasley I said 'hello'." She grinned from ear to ear and dashed back towards the party. Molly's eyes grew wide and she looked towards the bushes. The top of Arthur's head was ever so slightly visible.

"How did she know?" Arthur asked as he peeked around the side of the bushes.

"Your hair," Molly giggled. "You weren't quite crouched far enough."

Arthur blushed. "I hope I didn't get you into any trouble.

She shook her head and motioned for him to come sit by her. "So, you were telling me you had done a bit of thinking, right?"

He sat beside her and ran back the conversation through his head. "Ah, right. Well now. Let's see. I've been thinking..." He sounded as if he was trying to remember exactly what he was going to say. "Oh yes. I have been thinking about us. Quite a bit actually, and there's something I need to ask you."

Molly watched as he got down on the ground before her, sitting on one knee. He pulled a small box from his pocket and opened it. Inside was a ring. There was a small setting with a tiny, yet shiny diamond.

"Mollywobbles, will you marry me?"

She brought her hands up to her mouth and gasped in shock. Arthur Weasley was proposing. To her! "Arthur..." She had no idea what to say. This was quite unexpected. "Arthur, I... I'm betrothed."

"Codswallow," he huffed. "You shouldn't have to marry someone you don't love. After all, who was it that was caught snogging with you in the empty Charms classroom your fifth year?" He smirked triumphantly.

"We weren't snogging," Molly protested. "It was just an innocent kiss."

"Which you enjoyed, as I remember." He was going to push her on until she admitted she loved him.

Molly's face turned as red as her hair. "I..." Her mouth opened and closed several times.

Arthur grinned triumphantly. "Ah-ha! I was right." He took the ring out of the box and slipped it onto her finger. The sizing spell worked perfectly, making the band the exact size for her hands. "Please, Molly, be Mrs. Arthur Weasley. I love you so very much."

She looked at the ring. It must have taken him months to save up enough money to buy it on his small Ministry salary. "Oh, Arthur." She looked at him, her eyes tearing up, and threw her arms around his neck. "What about school? I really should finish first."

His shoulders sagged in relief. "Of course you should finish. We won't get married until the summer. I don't really think you want to get married in the snow." He chuckled at his joke.

She laughed along with him. Finally, she pulled away and wiped her eyes. "Yes, Arthur. I will marry you. I will be your wife and give you lots of beautiful children. You've made me the happiest girl in the world!"

"And you have made me the happiest man. I love you, the future Mrs. Molly Prewett Weasley."




---------------------------




Arthur opened his eyes and looked over at his wife. She was awake and looking at him as well. "Did you just have a wonderful dream?" he asked.

She nodded. "Remember when you proposed?"

His eyes widened in shock. "That's what I was dreaming too! This is incredible." He gathered her in his arms. "I love you, my Mollywobbles."

She laughed and kissed him. "And I love you, Arthur."