Some character ages have been slightly modified from canon to fit the story.



Power Trip

By Sea Isle Witch





It was well known that the last two carriages of the Hogwarts Express were used exclusively by the Slytherins. In a House ruled by politics and power, where you sat in those carriages made all the difference.

The end compartment of the rear carriage was currently occupied by Narcissa Black and Lucius Malfoy. They were widely recognised as the Slytherin silver couple and wore the shiny new Prefect badges to prove it.

Next to the last was the compartment of Bellatrix Black and Rodolphus Lestrange. They wielded the most power in Slytherin House, but acknowledged the image Narcissa and Lucius presented was helpful to their cause. They were in their last year at Hogwarts, and their wedding was planned for next summer, as was their initiation into a secret society.

The next two compartments were for fifth, sixth and seventh year couples and a few key singletons. The more popular couples sat closest to the back. Relationships were based on more than feelings in Slytherin House.

The attractive, uncoupled Slytherin witches sat in the next compartment, and it was a popular place to visit. Occasionally, a few select Ravenclaw wizards would venture into Slytherin territory to talk to these witches. Since pure-blood Ravenclaws were generally deemed acceptable, they were allowed into the carriage.

The next two compartments held mostly wizards and a few other witches. They weren't the flashiest or the brightest, but they were loyal Slytherins who were always ready to do whatever it took to gain their House an advantage.

Second year Regulus Black, third year Severus Snape and fourth year Rabastan Lestrange gathered in the first compartment, serving as gatekeepers for the older Slytherins. The door always remained open, so no one could enter the carriage without their knowledge. Trespassers could quickly find themselves in a nasty predicament.

Unofficially, they were being groomed to be the next powerful wizards in Slytherin House, after the current regime had left school. If they had not been selected, they would have been sitting in the other carriage with the younger Slytherins, observing their power system. Much to their satisfaction, the three had progressed beyond that.


~ * ~



On the way home last term, Bellatrix had summoned Regulus to her compartment. Severus had been leaning against the window, while a smug Rabastan had been sitting comfortably next to his elder brother.

"Regulus, next year you will join Severus and Rabastan in learning the most guarded secrets of Slytherin House. We will show you the ancient ways, just as our predecessors did for us.

To prove your worthiness, this summer you will each find a useful spell and modify it to be your own. I expect to be impressed on the first of September."

It was a great honour to be selected; only the most magically gifted were ever singled out. In the past few years, the three wizards had been the only ones chosen. No witches had been selected since Narcissa.


~ * ~



After the train pulled out of the station, Regulus and Rabastan began playing Exploding Snap, except they secretly called it Exploding Snape, knowing how much it bothered him. Since they were in competition with Severus, they hoped to unnerve him with their game and cause him to lose focus before he performed his spell for Bellatrix. They all wanted to ride in the power compartment, discussing important Wizarding matters, but an invitation was only extended to the most favoured one.

"What's the first Slytherin spell I'll learn this term?" Regulus asked Rabastan, during their game.

"That's a secret, but I'll tell you if you promise not to let them know."

Regulus gave a quick nod.

Rabastan leaned in and whispered, "It will be Serpensortia, which was created by Salazar Slytherin himself."

Regulus grinned, unable to conceal his excitement.


~ * ~



An hour into the journey, Narcissa appeared in the first compartment, looking as lovely as ever.

"I'm going to check on the other carriage. If something comes up afterward, I'll expect the three of you to handle it."

Rabastan jumped up and opened the doors into the next carriage for her. She smiled, and he returned it, but knew not to ogle her too long or face the wrath of Lucius Malfoy.

The younger students were riotous, but gradually quieted as Narcissa passed them, glancing into the compartments to make sure nothing peculiar was happening. Just as she was leaving, she heard a muffled snivel. Whipping around, she saw a second year girl quickly hide her hands.

"Show me," she said, pointing her wand at the girl.

The girl admirably held back her tears as she revealed that her fingers were webbed together.

"How did this happen?"

The girl shook her head, reluctant to reveal any information.

Narcissa released the spell and said, "Remember our honour code. We do not attack our own. If this happens again this term, everyone will serve detention. Imagine how degrading that would be for our House. I assure you the Slytherins in the next carriage will not look kindly on anyone who disgraces them. Now, quiet down for the rest of the journey, or Lucius will pay you a visit." With that, she turned and left.


~ * ~



"What took you so long?" Lucius complained, sitting up. "My lips were getting cold."

"We cannot let that happen," Narcissa said softly, sliding onto the seat next to him.

Lucius wound her long blonde hair around his hand and gently pulled her to his lips, kissing her lightly at first, and then with a probing tongue. Narcissa abruptly ended the kiss when she heard a sound outside the compartment.

Lucius frowned. "Don't stop kissing me; I missed you this summer."

"You saw me only two weeks ago at the Rosiers' garden party," she reminded him, smoothing her hair back into place.

"I barely got to kiss you then," he said, taking her hand. "This year, Narcissa, we shall get to know each other much better."

"What do you mean by that?" she asked demurely, but aware that he wanted to do a great deal more than kiss her this term. Bellatrix had answered her questions about wizards over the summer break, so she now knew what to expect and how to deflect it.

"Now that we are Prefects, we will have more freedom to roam around alone at night," he whispered.

Ignoring the suggestive look on the face of her fifteen year-old boyfriend, Narcissa deftly redirected the conversation. "Lucius, I knew we would be chosen as Prefects this year; no one can match us. For once, Professor Slughorn recognised the obvious truth: you and I can do great things together."

"We will..."

They were interrupted by the sixth year Slytherin Prefects, Andromeda Black and Russell Montague. They had been trying to sort out a misunderstanding with the Hufflepuff Prefects.

Lucius rolled his eyes at Narcissa. Andromeda and Russell were forever arguing, and today was no exception.

"Try it just once, and then you'll see what I'm talking about," Russell said, trying to coax Andromeda into an amorous situation. He sat down, mere inches away, and stared at her.

"Cissy, tell him just because we are both Prefects doesn't mean that we are a couple!"

"Well, most are, Ande," Narcissa replied, teasing. She snuggled against Lucius, who placed his arm around her.

Andromeda gave her sister the evil eye, while simultaneously pulling out a copy of Witch Weekly and slapping Russell's hand away.

It's going to be a very, very long journey, thought Lucius, pondering the one downfall of being made a Prefect.


~ * ~



After a while, Regulus and Rabastan's antics became unbearable, and Severus had reached the end of his rope. A few more minutes of enduring their card game and there would be an Exploding Snape. Just then, a third year wizard appeared at the doorway.

"Rabastan, you're wanted," Swayne Harper said. He had been singled out by Bellatrix in his first year to perform various tasks that required discretion, essentially making him a messenger and spy.

Rabastan turned to look at the other two. "I'm first, and you know that means something as much as I do. You might not even get your chance when they see what I have to show them."

"I doubt that," Regulus said softly. "You'll see."

Severus remained quiet; he was always watching the dynamics between the pure-bloods to see where their weaknesses lay. Knowledge was power.


~ * ~



Rabastan strode confidently to the back of the train. "What's the mood inside?" he asked Swayne.

"They've been snogging, not fighting," said Swayne, who was always well informed. He knocked once, and then allowed Rabastan to enter.

"What do you have for us?" Bellatrix asked, pushing Rodolphus away.

"My Hacking Hex."

"Did Rodolphus show you this?"

"No, he didn't."

"He's not let me see his spell, Bella, not once," Rodolphus told her, as he played with her long, dark tresses. "Now show us, Rabastan."

Rabastan cast a spell at Rodolphus that made him break out into a violent coughing fit, and then he lifted the spell.

"Very clever," Bellatrix complemented. "You can incapacitate someone, making it look completely innocent."

"Exactly. It was Rodolphus who told me that concealment of your intentions is important."

Rodolphus nodded, still gasping for breath. "Very effective, but never pull that again with me," he threatened.

"Send Regulus down," Bellatrix commanded.

Rabastan nodded and left reluctantly.


~ * ~



"I've heard you've been working on something all summer. What is it?"

"I call it the Regulus Charm."

Rodolphus snorted, but Regulus ignored him.

"I need a subject," Regulus said, eyeing Rodolphus.

"Harper!" Rodolphus yelled, not wanting to be the one to suffer this time.

When Swayne Harper appeared, Regulus said, "Watch this, Bella." He cast the spell at Swayne's chest and watched as the buttons popped off his shirt and then it flew open. Swayne and Regulus stifled their laughter.

"What good is that?" Rodolphus jeered.

"Humiliation," replied Bellatrix, appraising Regulus with an amused look on her face. "I can see where it would be useful for disrobing witches in a few years too."

Regulus smirked. He hadn't thought of that use, but now realised it would be a popular charm for the wizards to learn; he could already tell Swayne wanted to know it. Regulus would be the provider, advancing his position within the hierarchy.

"The Blacks have always excelled at charms, and you, Regulus, are no exception," Bellatrix told him approvingly. "I've seen something similar, though. Send Snape in."


~ * ~



Severus sneered when Regulus returned; he had not been asked to stay either.

Snape had spent the summer poring over his mother's spell books, which she normally kept hidden. They had even visited Junk Shop on Diagon Alley, where he had found several discarded, but valuable books which explained the theory behind spell making and casting. His mother had paid for the books by trading a few magical trinkets, the remains of her former life as a pure-blood Prince.

"Go on; it's your big chance," Regulus told Severus, taking his seat.

When Severus arrived, Swayne let him in without knocking. Bellatrix and Rodolphus were snogging and moaning. She was sitting on top of him, straddling his hips, and his hands were holding her firm arse. Severus was embarrassed by walking in on such an intimate moment.

"Err... Pardon," he said, turning to leave.

"Wait!"

Severus turned back around, but stared at the floor.

"What do you have to show us?" Bellatrix asked.

"A Voice-Blocking Charm."

"Let's see it," Rodolphus said as Bellatrix slid off his lap.

"I need someone to do it with."

"You and I, Snape," Bellatrix said breathlessly, moving across to the other seat near where he was standing. Her blouse was open slightly, and Severus caught a glimpse of her ample breasts.

Trying to concentrate, he cast the spell around Bellatrix and himself. "Muffliato."

"So, Snape, do you think he can hear us?"

"No."

"Rodolphus?"

"I can see your lips moving, but there is a faint noise--a buzzing sound--that is blocking out your voice," Rodolphus said. Bellatrix and Severus could hear him clearly, which was an advantage to the caster.

"Snape, end the spell and cast it with Rodolphus."

Moving closer to Rodolphus, he did as he was told, and Bellatrix nodded when she saw for herself that it worked. "Okay, undo the spell."

Again, he complied, waiting to learn whether she was impressed or not.

"I've not seen that spell before," Bellatrix said. "Where did you find it?"

"I combined three simpler spells which I found in an old book."

"Did you hear that, Rodolphus?," Bellatrix said, laughing. "He's barely a third year and has invented a spell."

Rodolphus grunted, stretched out and closed his eyes for a nap.

"Sit down, Snape," Bellatrix said, making room for him next to her. "Tell me, what else did you learn this summer?"

A rare smile passed over his lips. He had been asked to stay.



~ The End ~




A/N:
Written for Live Journal - HP Smut-free's fic exchange. Several people proofread for me at various stages of my editing: Red Velvet Canopy, Vocalion and Vaughn. Thanks!