51 - Labels

Harry knows three new words, and he hates them.

The first is “normal”. That’s what Dudley is, and Mum, and most everyone else. He should be too, but isn’t. It means reading, and going to the park on your own, and driving a car one day.

The second is “disabled”. That’s what he is, and his friends from school. It means not being able to talk, like Anne, or rocking and mumbling all day, like Martin. Or drooling, and needing nappies at night, like himself.

Then there’s the third word – a word people sometimes use instead of “disabled”.

It’s “freak”.

.-.-.-.

52 - Regret

Petunia always did everything so Harry could make the most out of his possibilities. He’s grown smarter than the doctors anticipated, and she used to be glad about it.

Lately, though, she almost regrets it.

Harry used to be happy and outgoing – now he's whiny and discontent. He doesn’t like leaving home except for school, and he doesn’t like meeting people.

“They’ll laugh at me,” is his answer when she asks why.

She’s never seen him so desperate, and sometimes, she finds herself wishing his impairment were worse. Just enough so he’d never notice, never understand.

Wouldn't that be better?

.-.-.-.

53 - Despair

Remus is still at work, Mum is having tea with a neighbour. Dudley doesn’t mind staying home with Harry, but today, he wishes he weren’t alone.

It took him fifteen minutes to find Harry, and now he’s kneeling in front of the open cupboard, watching his cousin cry and slap himself in the face again and again.

“Harry?” Dudley gets no reaction, and none either when he touches his him. In the end, he simply holds him close, Harry’s feeble struggles soon dying down, although he’s still crying.

They wait like this on the floor until finally, Remus comes home.

.-.-.-.

54 - Hope

Petunia is wary of psychologists. Her parents took her when Lily went away to Hogwarts, but it didn’t help any. She couldn’t watch Harry get worse by the day, though, and now she’s glad Remus talked her into it.

Dr. Rayburn is gentle and soft-spoken, and it didn’t take long for her to earn Harry’s trust. She can’t work miracles – after six months, Harry still hits himself when he’s upset. But he’s less restless now; he’ll play in the garden again and sometimes let them take him to the park.

Hope comes in baby steps, but it comes nonetheless.

.-.-.-.

55 - Counseling

Harry likes Dr. Rayburn. She’s nice, and pretty, and he feels better since he goes to her.

She’ll ask him to draw pictures, or play games, and sometimes she wants to talk about things that hurt him. Like Mum, she always can explain things in a way he understands.

Mum already tried to explain that being disabled isn’t his fault. He had an accident when he was small; some people have accidents when they’re born, or even when they’re inside their mum’s tummy.

Dr. Rayburn helps him to believe it – really believe it. And somehow, that makes all the difference.