21 - Perspective

Remus knows how it feels to be considered a freak. He knows the stares, the whispers. What he didn’t know was how much worse it feels when they’re not directed at you, but at someone you love.

Mrs. Dursley doesn’t complain, but he sees her frown and press her lips together, and he sees how she sometimes looks at Harry – as if she wanted to protect him from the world.

Being with them is good for him; it puts things into perspective. Life has been hard on him, but he isn’t the only one. It’s time to stop wallowing in self-pity.

.-.-.-.

22 - Happiness

Petunia is sitting on the terrace with a glass of iced tea, watching the boys play football with Mr. Lupin. After a while, she closes her eyes, tired from the heat, just listening to their shouting and laughing.

This summer, she feels a light-heartedness she almost forgot exists. Lupin is doing the boys good, she can’t deny it, and she’s beyond disliking him for what he is.

Only sometimes, melancholy threatens to creep in - it should be Vernon playing with them, Vernon making them so happy. But she mustn’t complain. Life hasn’t been this good in a long time.

.-.-.-.

23 - Wishes

It’s a surprise when Remus realises that it’s been a long time since he came only to see Harry. He finds himself looking forward to playing with Dudley too, and, strangely, especially to seeing Mrs. Dursley.

She isn’t his type – she’s too thin, too pale, and she hardly laughs. But the more he gets to know her, the more he respects and admires her, and the more beautiful she seems to become.

Remus wishes he could do more for her than he is doing now. He wishes she would talk to him about her worries. He wishes they were closer.

.-.-.-.

24 - Closeness

She’ll never remember how exactly it happened, but suddenly, Harry was lying under the tree he had climbed, screaming and crying.

She pulled herself together throughout all of it, but now that they’re back from the hospital and Harry is finally sleeping, the broken arm safe in a cast, her legs give in under her. When she slumps down on the couch, Lupin’s arms wrap around her, and she doesn’t resist the sudden closeness. He was there with them in the hospital, has been there for them for months. Petunia realises that she doesn’t want him to ever leave again.

.-.-.-.

25 - Confession

"You're a Werewolf?!"

Petunia's first instinct is to tell him to leave and not come back. Werewolves are dangerous Dark Creatures – she learnt enough from Lily to know that.

Remus looks anxious, weary, guilty. She can't take it and looks away, but her eyes fall on a picture of Harry on the wall, and suddenly, it is she who feels guilty. She should know better than to judge people because they're different.

Her fingers curl firmly around his as she makes her decision.

"I don't care."

It's a lie, for now, but Petunia is determined to make it become truth.