~ The First ~

Narcissa was sitting stiffly on the edge of the chair, looking around in the kitchen of the Burrow as though she were visiting a Neanderthal’s cave. An untouched cup of tea was waiting on the table in front of her.

Minutes passed by in silence. Finally, Molly cleared her throat.

“I know you dislike this, but the two of us have at least some grasp on reality. We can’t keep them apart, so we’ll have to come to terms with it. Maybe our husbands will learn from us.”

After a moment of hesitation, Narcissa picked up her cup and drank.


--------------------------------------------------


~ The Second ~

They tried to keep their conversation to non-committal small-talk. They quickly agreed on the weather, decided to avoid politics almost immediately – it was obvious they would disagree on any given political subject – and found that there were hardly common interests or hobbies. Soon, they realised they would have to decide between silence and the children.

“So, do you think it will work? Ron and Draco?” Molly finally asked.

“If they’re as stubborn about loving each other as their fathers are about the opposite, I have little doubt.” Narcissa’s smile was thin and tight-lipped, but nevertheless there.

Molly looked amused. “I’m confident, then.”


--------------------------------------------------


~ The Third ~

“Have you visited them since Draco was released from St. Mungo’s?”

Obviously, that had been the wrong question to ask. Narcissa’s “No” was icy.

“But it’s been almost two months!” Molly exclaimed incredulously.

“He lives with Potter and a Mudblood!” The blond woman looked like she had tasted rotten food.

“He also lives with a ‘blood traitor’, if you remember,” Molly retorted sharply, “and I’m sure they do a lot more than just living together. But you seem to have no objections to that.”

Narcissa cringed. “You may have a point – although you could have spared me the mental images.”


--------------------------------------------------


~The Fourth ~

“I brought something to eat,” Narcissa said as she arrived, holding a delicate, flowered porcelain box in her gloved hands. When the tea was poured, she opened it, revealing some delicious looking fairy cakes.

Molly was pleasantly surprised.

“Did you make them?” she asked after finishing the first one. “They’re wonderful.”

Narcissa seemed mildly offended but amused at the same time. “Of course not. One of the house-elves did. I think her name is...Misty? I’m not sure.”

“Well, then, give her my compliments. From one cook to the other.”

For a reason she couldn’t quite define, Narcissa suddenly felt embarrassed.


--------------------------------------------------


~ The Fifth ~

The tea wasn’t getting cold, because there was a spell that kept it warm, even half an hour after Narcissa should have arrived. Molly didn’t think she would come any more. She wondered if she shouldn't have expected it – for Narcissa to get tired of this.

Fifteen minutes later, a small, golden brown owl fluttered through the window.

.-.-.

Please excuse my absence, but I am unexpectedly indisposed. I hope to see you next week.

Narcissa Malfoy

P.S. Minty sends her thanks.


.-.-.

Molly stared down on it for a while, then took a deep breath. She, too, had prejudices to overcome.