Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd like to thank everyone for their patience with this story. The move and ensuing unpacking severely limited my time to finish it. As always, thanks to my loyal beta, nota. Her help is invaluable.
Chapter 7: Future’s Glory

Narcissa felt miserable. She was bloated, achy and exhausted. This felt ten times worse than when she had been pregnant with Draco. Or perhaps it was just so long ago that she had forgotten how bad that had been.

Shifting yet again, she searched in vain for a less uncomfortable position, but nothing seemed to make her feel any better. The child was pushing against her insides, stretching out even though there was no more room to stretch. And to make matters worse, she still had two weeks to go.

Lucius was doting on her as he had never done before. She had to admit that it did feel wonderful. It had been years since he had been this attentive towards her. Well, not exactly true, he had been quite amorous while convincing her that they should have more children, but she knew that was because he had wanted something. Now, it felt truly wonderful to be treated like royalty, especially when she looked so miserable and felt even worse.

She wasn't aware that Lucius had returned home until he picked up her foot and began massaging it. “How are you feeling, dearest?”

Startled back to the present, she managed a small smile. “What? Oh, tired.”

“Well, you’re nearly there. Soon we will have a lovely child.”

Unconsciously, she rubbed her swollen stomach. “How very true. But it will be worth it, won’t it?” She had felt this same way while pregnant with Draco. Her initial euphoria at the idea of being a mother had changed to near panic as she watched her body transform as the child within her grew. Yet one look at his angelic face had convinced her it was worth every discomfort—the same emotions she was feeling this time.

“Very much so.” His hand slid up her leg, gently caressing her.

She could see a gleam in his eye, but it was not entirely lust. “What are you thinking about, my love?”

“About how wonderful a woman you are and how lucky I am to be married to you. And about how positively breathtaking you are.” He was now leaning over her, lowering his head for a kiss.

She playfully pushed at him. “Stop. I’m hideous.”

“Darling, you are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. The fact that you are carrying our child has not changed that. It only enhances your natural beauty, and the way I feel about you.” He pushed a little harder and finally claimed his kiss.

His words and actions made her feel better about herself, and she eagerly returned his kiss. As their amorous encounter unfolded, she felt a familiar tightening in her abdomen. Trying to push him away, she said, “Lucius.”

He did not cease his advances. “Narcissa,” he whispered lustily.

She pushed more insistently. “No. Not now.”

Confusion spread across his face. “What?”

“The baby. I think I’m in labor.”

“Labor?”

“Yes, dear. Please, Lucius, you need to send for the Healer. Now.”

At those words, he seemed to regain some of his senses. “Yes, the Healer.” After hurriedly summoning one of the house-elves and sending it out to fetch Healer Jacobs, he helped Narcissa upstairs.

After lying in the bed a little while and being unable to achieve any measure of comfort, not to mention finding Lucius’ pacing annoying, she said, “I think I’d like to get up and walk for a bit.”

“Are you sure?” he asked nervously.

“Yes, it’s perfectly safe, and it will help keep my mind off what’s happening while we wait for the Healer.”

“Where is he? Why has he not arrived yet?” Lucius asked anxiously.

“I’m sure he’ll be along soon, Lucius. We still have time.”

***************

Nearly three hours later, Narcissa’s water had broken, her contractions were much closer together and there was still no sign of the Healer. In fact, the house-elf had not returned either and an anxious Lucius sent a second. “When that blasted fool gets here, I’ll give him a piece of my mind. His actions are negligent…”

“Darling, no. I’m sure there is a valid reason for him not being here yet.” She really needed him to be calm as she was fighting her own panic and fear of having the baby without proper medical assistance.

Finally the Healer arrived. “Where have you been?” demanded Lucius.

“In a moment, Mr. Malfoy.” The Healer turned all of his attention to Narcissa and cast a quick diagnostic spell over her. ”Seems I arrived just in time. Are you ready, Narcissa?”

She nodded, relieved that he had arrived on time, if only barely. The desire to push was becoming overwhelming. As far as she was concerned, this could not be over soon enough.

After an exhausting hour of pushing, she was rewarded by the wail of their daughter.

“Congratulations. It’s a beautiful, healthy baby girl,” the Healer said as he swaddled the child and handed her to Narcissa. As she hugged the tightly wrapped bundle protectively against her body, tiny little lips began to suckle at her swollen breast. It had been so many years since she had felt this sensation, but it was all coming back now. Everything was going to be all right.

Lucius was at her side, a proud grin on his face as he looked at mother and child.

He could not help thinking back on those early pregnancies. This was what he had denied both of them in his blind pursuit of an heir. What had he done? Was this precious infant, a perfect mixture of himself and Cissy, really so bad? Even now, the resemblance to her parents was uncanny. She clearly had her mother’s mouth and her eyes were not the typical blue of most infants, but the same grey as his.

He was sure now that they would have another son, maybe more than one. He would not give up on that dream; it was meant to be. But for now, as he watched the joy that shone in the face of the woman he really did love, this small piece of Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy would do.

“She is adorable, isn’t she?”

“Perfect,” replied Lucius as he reached down and gently brushed his daughter’s cheek. “What shall we name her?”

This was something Narcissa had been contemplating for a long time. The two of them had agreed that if was a boy, he would provide the name, but if it were a girl, she would have the honor of naming their daughter. “Harmonia Grace. I think it is a fitting and hopeful name for the world we’ve brought her into.”

It was not the name Lucius would have chosen, but he agreed it was an appropriate name for the times. He hoped that would prove true. “It’s lovely, and I hope it will suit her well.”

“I think it will.” A bit reluctantly, she handed Harmonia over to Lucius, finally succumbing to exhaustion. As she drifted off to sleep, she felt suffused with happiness for the first time in more than a year, and maybe much longer than that. Once again, the Malfoys were a family.

************

Not quite two years after Harmonia’s birth, Lucius and Narcissa were blessed with a second child, this one the son that he so longed for, Augustus Lucius. Lucius had purposely chosen a first name that was not in his family’s history.

Narcissa thrived as a mother, and he pushed away the guilt he felt for having denied her this feeling for so long. They were both happy now and had started fresh in an age where Voldemort had been vanquished.

When Augustus was six months old, she started hinting that she would like another child. Lucius could not have been more pleased. He had realized that having a large family was not the burden he had once thought it would be. Even with his restriction on travel outside the country soon to be lifted, he realized that he much preferred staying at home. Harmonia was a very bright child, and he enjoyed spending time with her and even spoiling her a little. Augustus had the same spark that his sister did, and he could hardly wait to begin grooming his son as his heir.

He was taking a much different outlook to fatherhood this time than he had with Draco. The Malfoy name was something people would strive to marry into. Once again, his family would be great, reborn from the tattered ruins of a dark master.

~The End~