Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: I normally don’t do this at the start of a story, but this is such an unusual fic, I thought I’d give a brief explanation.

This initially started as a five-drabble one-shot, but after hearing back from some readers, I thought it would be fun to expand it. It is now a series of 42-100 word vignettes. I have tried my best to make each of them stand alone, which was quite difficult and did limit the storytelling a bit. I wanted to try to capture the big ‘werewolf’ moments during Remus’ time at Hogwarts, while including his relationship with the others. I know I don’t have a lot of Peter, but it’s really hard to include four people in a 100 word scene, and I have the impression Peter was pretty quiet and sycophantic. This style is definitely one way to ensure you aren’t using superfluous language.

I send out a great big thank you to such_heights who gave me wonderful advice about the flow of the story and some Brit-picking. Beta-ing such a constrained story was a bit of a challenge, but she did a marvellous job.
Arrival

“John, look at this! They’ve accepted him.”

“I can’t believe it – Remus! Come here, son.”

Mrs. Lupin was crying as Remus entered the kitchen. “Yes, dad?”

“Son, you’re going to Hogwarts this year. There will be special precautions, and you must tell no one your secret.”

Remus was ecstatic. He had expected to have to stay at home and learn from his mother, but he could be like other children this time.

“You do understand how important this is?”

“Yes, Father. I’ll tell no one.” He couldn’t believe it. He was going to Hogwarts. He would be a proper wizard.

************

“Do you have everything you need?” His mother fussed over his clothes and untidy hair.

“Yes, Mum. I didn’t forget anything.” Everything had been packed for days.

“And you have your money for lunch?”

His father interrupted, “Caroline, don’t coddle him. He’ll be fine. Remus, you’ll meet with the school nurse and the headmaster tomorrow. They’ll explain everything to you. Remember to do what they say.”

“I will. I want to stay at school.” And finally be normal, he added silently.

“That’s my boy. Don’t forget to write.”

“I won’t.” He nervously boarded the train, realizing he didn’t know anyone.

************

Having boarded the train early, he found an empty compartment. Nervous about being alone, but more nervous about having to talk to anyone, he pulled out a book.

Hearing a commotion outside, he buried his nose deeper in the book, not wanting to get involved.

“Narcissa, just leave me alone.”

“Auntie told me to keep an eye on you. Get in this compartment, now!”

“I don’t have to listen to you. James and I are sitting here. Stuff a toad in it!”

“Check out the bookworm,” said James.

Remus ignored them, hoping they would go away. They sounded too boisterous.

************

Remus stood in the back, trying to go unnoticed. Everyone was looking around at their new classmates. He worried someone would see right through him, know that he had a secret, and demand that he share it.

He had been assured that no one other than the staff would know, but he feared being sent home if he was discovered and the misery that would follow.

A middle-aged witch shouted out directions, ordering them into a line and to be quiet. Taking his place in the middle, they were ushered for the Sorting. He wondered how it would be done.

************

Nervously, he approached the stool and placed the Hat on his head.

“Hmmm, you have a very strong heart. And it’s all right to be afraid. Fear creates caution, which can keep you alive. You think you should be Hufflepuff? Well, I know differently. I can see things inside you that even you don’t see. You will need brave friends to help you with your affliction…”

No one must know! Remus was horrified.

“That’s what they tell you. Listen to me, you’ll need strong friends in order to thrive and grow, and you can only find them one place…”

“GRYFFINDOR!”

************

After enjoying a marvellous dinner, Remus was ready for bed. As he and the other first years lined up, he noticed two of them were the boys from the train, James and Sirius. He was nervous about having them as dorm-mates. Everyone introduced himself, telling a little about his past. When it was his turn, Remus found he couldn’t give much more than his name and hometown.

Sirius started asking questions when James elbowed him. “Leave him alone. He’s shy and we’ve got seven years to get to know each other.”

Remus couldn’t believe someone had stood up for him.

************

Remus crawled into bed hardly believing it was true. His parents had long warned him he probably would not be able to attend Hogwarts. Now, he was here, ready to learn magic. Of his classmates, Sirius was loud and boisterous, James was cool and confident, and Peter was even quieter and more nervous than he.

Since James had stuck up for him, he would try to befriend James first. He hoped the behaviour on the train had been an anomaly. After all, the Hat had told him he needed friends, and he would most likely make them in his house.