Run of the Marauders

Full moon was tonight. The others thought it was fun. As usual, they would join him, run with him, keep him safe. While they thought they were like him, they weren’t. They could never understand what he went through. They could control their transformations; his came with the moon, completely unbidden.

Madam Pomfrey led him to the Whomping Willow and escorted him to the Shack. “I’ll be back in the morning, dear.”

He nodded and sat in the silence, waiting. He could feel it coming. It wasn’t long now. There was nothing he hated or feared more than the moon.

********

“Is it time, yet?”

James checked the window. “Not quite, Padfoot.”

Sirius paced restlessly. “You know what you have to do, Wormtail?”

“Same thing I do every month. And I can ride on you this time, right?”

“Yeah, sure. The moon’ll be up soon. Let’s go now, and he’ll be transformed by the time we get there.”

James sighed.

“There’s no reason for us to wait. He won’t attack us as animals.”

“Fine. But we wait in the tunnel until he’s done. You know he doesn’t like us watching.”

“All right! Let’s go.” Sirius grabbed the cloak and headed downstairs.

********

Remus started hyperventilating. It was starting. Even though he didn’t remember life before his affliction, the transformation terrified him. Not only did it hurt, but he could also feel his mind slip away. He hated losing control. When he regained human form, he always had a hard time remembering what he had done.

Doubling over in pain as the moon rose, he tried to suppress the cries, but it hurt too much. His body stretched and pinched, and he writhed, unable to control anything. He could feel his mind slipping away; the cries turned to howls as the wolf arrived.

********

Anyone who looked out the windows of Hogwarts castle would see a very unusual sight on full moon nights. Thankfully, the castle was dark and all were asleep. Near the Quidditch pitch, three large shapes ran across the grass. At first, one might think that stag was in trouble as two large dogs chased it. A closer look would show that the dogs were not chasing it, but playing with it.

A Muggle would be incredibly confused by this dichotomous sight, but a wizard would immediately suspect magic was at work, and that those animals were more than they seemed.

**********

Remus rolled over, utterly exhausted. As always, he couldn’t remember anything. Shivering, he buried himself deeper against the warm furry mass next to him. Suddenly, that furry mass moved and he opened his eyes. A boy was shaking the dog.

James urged, “Padfoot, we need to get up. It’s nearly morning.”

The dog stretched.

“Hurry up! Madam Pomfrey will be back for me soon. We don’t want to be expelled,” Remus said urgently.

Peter shuffled nervously.

Padfoot finally transformed. “All right, already. There’s still time. See you in a couple of days?”

“Yeah. Thanks, guys.” Sadly, he watched them go.