Chapter 2 ~ Unwelcome News

Severus Snape, who was still recovering in St. Mungo’s from his close call with death via Nagini, read the newspaper headline with more than a little disgust.

Harry Potter’s Cousin Enters the Wizarding World.

The story gave a little background on how Dudley Dursley, a wizard who was raised as a Muggle, which was considered the equivalent of being raised in the wild by wolves, entered the wizarding world, searching for his cousin, Harry Potter, to assist in the fight against Voldemort. He was now sequestered at Hogwarts.

“Dear gods . . . not another one,” the Dark Arts teacher hissed to himself, staring at the muscular young man looking at the camera, his blue eyes somewhat bewildered as he stood surrounded by witches and wizards. “Well, it’s easy to see he’s a Gryffindor. More brawn than brains. I’ll be giving him a wide berth at any rate.”

Snape planned to return to his Dark Arts position. Hopefully, they’d get the boy a magical tutor or something. He was of graduation age.

Suddenly the door flew open and Snape shaded his eyes as if there were a sudden burst of sunlight.

”Hello, Professor Snape,” a bright, cheery voice called out. “How are you today?”

Snape’s pale hand slid from his eyes to the bridge of his nose, which he clasped in reaction.

”I am alive and enjoying my solitude, Miss Granger,” he snapped.

Hermione pulled up a chair, ignoring his reply and smiling at him. She had a Daily Prophet clasped in her hand.

”Have you seen the morning paper?” the witch asked him.

Hermione visited Snape several times a week as if he were her private charity case. No doubt she felt entitled, since it was she who returned to the Shrieking Shack and found him barely alive. She cauterized his wounds, fed him potions, and had him transported to St. Mungos.

”Yes, I’ve read the dismal news,” Snape said heavily.

”Isn’t it exciting? Harry’s cousin is a wizard,” Hermione gushed.

”It’s incredible,” Snape replied, making a face. “Incredible in that the boy has lived for almost eighteen years without recognizing he was a wizard. The thickness of his skull must be record-worthy. It’s easy to see he’s related to Potter.”

Hermione shook her head. Snape still acted as if he hated Harry, but she knew about the Pensieve and his memories. Well, he did nearly die still trying to protect him, so he was entitled to act the bastard.

”The Healers say you’ll be out tomorrow. Would you like me to straighten up your private quarters at Hogwarts so you’ll be comfortable?”

”No. Stay out of my blasted quarters. I want every cobweb, every speck of dust left in place! Do you hear me, Miss Granger? That is my domain and you will not encroach upon it as you’ve done here several times a week,” Snape snarled.

”All right. All right,” Hermione said in a soothing voice as if she were placating a surly child. Of course, this only served to piss Snape off more.

“And when I leave here, I expect us to go back to a normal teacher/student relationship. We are not friends, Miss Granger, despite you returning for me and saving my life.”

Hermione nodded.

”No, we aren’t friends, but you do owe me, you know,” she replied.

Snape looked at her in amazement.

”Owe you? What do you mean, owe you? I owe you nothing,” he snarled at her.

”Well, that depends on how you look at it, Professor. According to the rules of magic, you only owe me if I require it,” she responded, “and I do. You owe me a Life Debt, Professor Snape, and I’m calling you on it.”

Suddenly, magic swirled around the room. Snape looked outraged.

”A Life Debt . . . why you little conniving, manipulative . . .”

”Witch,” Hermione finished for him. “I’m a witch, Professor, and as one it’s my right to claim a Life Debt. But don’t worry, I don’t plan to turn you into my personal servant or anything.”

. . . and live, Snape thought furiously.

”I just want you to teach me certain spells and techniques related to the Dark Arts. Private tutoring for say, two years,” the Gryffindor said.

”I’m not a tutor! I am a tenured professor at Hogwarts,” Snape huffed.

”You’re a tutor now, unless you want that debt hanging over your head for years, never knowing when I’ll request something much worse of you,” Hermione purred at him.

Snape looked as if he were going to explode. He willed himself to calm.

”Our visit is over, Miss Granger. I don’t expect to see you again until I return to Hogwarts,” he said in a deceptively soft voice. One could feel the fury beneath it, however.

Hermione rose.

”Very well, Professor. I’ll be leaving now,” she said, rising with a smirk.

Snape’s dark eyes followed her until she left the room, then he let out a string of obscenities that wilted the small plant on the stand beside his cot.

”Damn that witch!” he snarled, tossing the Prophet on the floor and sullenly falling back on the cot.

He’d just gotten rid of his life debt concerning Harry. Now this? Shit.

The gods were against him. That was the only possible explanation.

* * *
A/N: Just a little look at the Potions master. I love Snape. :) Hermione's a manipulative little witch, isn't she? lol. Thanks for reading.