I do not own any of the HP characters and am not making any money from the writing of this fanfic.




Chapter 3 ~ Dudley at Hogwarts

Harry watched as Minerva lowered the Sorting Hat on Dudley’s head. They were in her office, just the two young men and the Headmistress. From his portrait, Albus watched Petunia’s secret get blown wide open. Ah, well. He'd kept his promise until the very end. Petunia should have known the truth would come out one day.

Many years ago, there had been an incident at the zoo where Dudley tumbled into a snake’s cage, the glass disappearing as he pressed against it. Harry had been blamed for the incident, since it was known he had magic. Not even Petunia suspected that Dudley’s magic had manifested because he wanted to see the snake up close. Harry was completely innocent.

And the night the Dementors pursued them, Dudley had seen the black-robed creatures bearing down on them with his own eyes, although he had been too traumatized to actually describe to anyone the terrible sight he saw. He never spoke of them again, having no idea only magical folk could discern them.

Harry watched as the hat was set on Dudley’s head. The young man was sitting on a stool, still wearing the bewildered expression he donned at the Leaky Cauldron. He had some idea of what was going on . . . he knew he was supposed to be a wizard, but not much else had sunk in, yet.

The hat began to speak and move. The moment it did, Dudley leapt up, tore it from his head, and threw it into a corner.

”Oh my gods!” Minerva screamed, running after the writhing hat as Dudley stared at it in horrified fascination. Harry was too shocked to say anything as Minerva picked it up, dusted it off and looked at Dudley with disapproval.

”Young man, we do not treat the Sorting Hat in such a manner. It has been here for centuries,” she said tightly.

”But . . . it talked and it . . . it squirmed on my head,” Dudley responded rather accusingly, looking at the dirty old hat with disgust. “It felt horrid.”

The hat did feel rather creepy when it moved. It was a lot like being touched in the wrong way.

”It is supposed to speak and move. How else could it tell what house you are supposed to be in?” the Headmistress snapped at Dudley, who shrugged his big shoulders. He was the last person that should be asked that kind of question.

”Now, you sit there, Mr. Dursley, or I’ll petrify you in place!” Minerva threatened, approaching him with the hat again.

Dudley’s blue eyes shifted toward Harry, who splayed his hands in a “There’s nothing I can do” display. Dudley sat back down and watched as Minerva approached with the now squirming hat. He closed his eyes as she set it on his head.

”Not too bright, this one,” the hat said immediately. Whether or not it was angry about being thrown across the room was anyone’s guess. “But he’s fair-minded, loyal, patient and hard-working."

Harry blinked at this assessment of Dudley. He had never done work a day in his life, growing up, and he certainly wasn’t fair-minded in any manner, and threw tantrums all the time when he had to wait for anything. Had the hat lost its edge?

But, the hat was right about Dudley. He had taken up boxing while in Smeltings and was quite good at it, but it required discipline and restraint. At first, he was rather a bully, but the coach straightened him out, and told him he needed to lose the fat and get muscle mass if he wanted to be the best he could be. So, for the first time in his life, Dudley followed a structured program and thrived under it. He had to learn to be patient, because results wouldn’t happen overnight, and he had to work out everyday, focusing on areas of his body. Ego and self-importance had to go out of the window. The best athletes were humble and not full of themselves. So, yes, Dudley had changed, not only outwardly, but inwardly. He learned how important support was and that realization carried over to his cousin, Harry, who had never received any support.

Besides, the night Harry fought off the Dementors and saved his life, Dudley saw first hand the evil that existed in Harry’s world and how brave Harry really was. He’d been traumatized, but he learned to appreciate Harry that night. Whereas his parent laid blame, Dudley didn’t feel that way after he’d thought about it for a while. Harry was all right.

”Hufflepuff!” the hat announced.

Minerva looked a bit disappointed, but Harry didn’t. Dudley had never been too bright. But it was commonly thought Hufflepuffs weren’t bright, when in fact they were. True, they weren’t showy or overbearing, but they were good, solid students, most of whom thought before they acted.

”What’s a Hufflepuff?” Dudley asked Harry as the squicky hat was removed from his blond head.

”Well,” Harry explained as Minerva summoned Professor Sprout via the Floo, ”Hufflepuff is the house you belong in. There are other students there that have the same qualities you do. Anyone who stays there is called a Hufflepuff.”

”The name sucks,” Dudley observed, getting off the stool and tossing his head side to side. His thick neck cracked, and Harry blinked at him.

”Don’t let Professor Sprout hear you say that if you want to get off to a good start, young man,” Minerva said disapprovingly. “Your house’s namesake, Helga Hufflepuff, was an amazing witch. She is well respected and one of the founders of Hogwarts."

”You probably would have appreciated her more when you were still fat, Dudley,” Harry said, unable to help himself taking a little dig at his cousin. Dudley was on his turf now. “She was great at food-related magic.”

Dudley stared at Harry for a moment, then shrugged.

Harry hadn’t had a chance to sit down and talk with Dudley yet, but he had gotten the news from Ginny by owl about him entering the Leaky Cauldron on his own, looking for him. Harry had dropped down on his bed in shock.

Ginny had Apparated with Dudley to the gates of Hogwarts from Diagon Alley, which was quite a jump for a first-time Apparator, and Dudley promptly expelled his fish and chips meal when they arrived. He’d felt like he was being crushed to death, then dragged through space before the sensations stopped. It had been disorienting, but not painful, really. Sort of like being caught between two walls and pulled through them.

Ginny took him straight to the Headmistress, who summoned Harry. The cousins only had the opportunity to greet each other. Minerva wanted to get him sorted and into his house. Dudley wasn’t even sure he wanted to attend Hogwarts, but Minerva didn’t bother asking him. Of course he wanted to attend the premiere wizarding school in the magical world. Who wouldn’t?

Now, they stood in Minerva’s office, waiting for Professor Sprout. Harry wanted to get some kind of information from Dudley before he was whisked off. So, he asked him why he went to the Leaky Cauldron.

”I—I wanted to find you, Harry. To see if you were all right,” Dudley admitted, looking at the floor and reddening at this admission. “You’re my only cousin, you know.”

Harry stared at Dudley, just as amazed as when he shook his hand and thanked him for saving his life the night they departed from Privet Drive.

”But that was dangerous, Dudley. You didn’t know what was going on,” Harry said to him. “I could have been in a lot of trouble.”

”That’s why I came,” Dudley replied, “to see—to see if I could help you, Harry. I didn’t like the way Mum and Dad just abandoned you like that. It wasn’t right.”

“Dudley, did you drop barbells on your head or something?” Harry asked, trying to come to terms with this—this very different Dudley Dursley. One who seemed to actually care about him.

"No, I didn’t drop barbells on my head!” Dudley snapped at him. “You’re just as bad as Mum and Dad, Harry. Can’t I check up on you if I want? We’re family.”

When Dudley said this, Harry felt a tightening in his chest. Yes, they were family, but Harry had never felt it because of how they came up. He had always felt alone in the world up to this point. The Dursleys were just—caretakers, or that’s what they felt like, and reluctant caretakers at that. To hear Dudley say they were family, and obviously mean it, made Harry feel like jelly inside.

Minerva’s eyes filled a little at Dudley’s simple statement. Harry had felt alone for so long. It was wonderful he was connecting with his cousin. Everyone needed family. Yes, a lot of people loved Harry Potter and cared for him, but there was something special about a blood relative, and finally Harry had that.

Albus’ portrait also watched the pair with watery blue eyes. At last, Harry and Dudley were on equal ground, and the boy who lived had the family connection he’d always longed for. This was wonderful.

”Yeah, we are family,” Harry agreed, looking away from Dudley for a moment and blinking rapidly. “Thanks for looking for me, Dudley.”

There was an awkward silence between the cousins. This was all so new for them. It would take a little time to get settled into their new roles. It was too bad Dudley wasn’t a Gryffindor. The bonding would probably go much faster if he had been.

Minerva sat down at her desk briskly, shuffling through a few parchments.

”Mr. Dursley, about your tuition,” she said to the young man, “how to you intend to pay for it?”

Dudley stared at her. There was no way his father would pay for him to attend wizarding school. In fact, Vernon might disown him completely, once he found out he was one of “them.”

Harry was thinking the same thing.

”I’ll pay for it, Headmistress,” Harry offered.

Dursley looked at Harry with wide eyes.

”How can you pay for it, Harry? You’re a student, too,” his cousin said to him.

Harry grinned.

”Yeah, I am. But I’m a rich student, Dudley. I have lots of money. My parents left it to me. That’s why Uncle Vernon never had to pay for me coming to Hogwarts,” Harry told him. “I’m bloody loaded.”

Harry had never talked about his money to anyone before. He liked having it, but believed it would be like bragging. He never spent much of it either, just mostly for school supplies. But he liked telling Dudley this, not to brag, but to let him know he could help him out.

”You’re—rich?” Dudley stammered. “Dad will have a cow when he finds out.”

Harry’s smile grew even broader.

”I know,” he said. “He’ll be thinking about all the room and board fees he missed out on.”

Dudley chuckled. Harry was right. His father was going to be furious.

“Well, I’ll pay you back, Harry,” Dudley promised, glad he wouldn’t have to go to his father. Since he was a wizard, he might as well find out what he could do, and Hogwarts would teach him.

”That’s settled then. There’s the matter of you getting a wand . . .” Minerva said.

”I’ll take him to Ollivander’s,” Harry said quickly. “He’ll get one.”

Minerva nodded.

”Now, because Mr. Dursley has absolutely no background in magic at all, he’s going to have to take remedial courses. In other words, you’re going to have to take first year classes, Mr. Dursley, which means you’ll be the oldest wizard in the class.”

Not to mention the biggest.

Harry looked down at the floor to hide his grin, imagining huge Dudley trying to squeeze into a first year desk, and it catching around his waist so when he stood up, it rose with him. Oh, this was going to be rich.

“Perhaps you could tutor him as well, Harry. If he catches on quickly, we’ll be able to move him up in grades by examination,” the witch suggested.

”Yeah, I’ll teach him, and I’m sure Hermione will help him with the academic parts,” Harry said, smiling at Dudley rather evilly.

Hermione would love it. She’d bring her whip.

Dudley’s brow furrowed. That name was a bit familiar. Hermione.

”And eventually, he’ll need a broom,” Minerva continued.

Dudley’s eyes went wide for a moment.

”A broom? What do I need a broom for? Will I be cleaning around here?”

Harry and Minerva laughed.

”No, it’s for flying, Dudley. We get about on brooms,” Harry told him.

Images of hook-nosed hags flying on brooms past the face of the full moon filled Dudley’s head.

”Flying? I don’t know if I want to fly, Harry. I can catch a bus or something if I want to get around,” Dudley replied uncertainly.

Harry chuckled. He wanted to tell Dudley not to be a pussy, but he couldn’t say that in front of the Headmistress.

”Well—if you’re scared, Dudley . . .” he said.

”I’m not scared—I just don’t see a need for a broom,” his cousin retorted.

”You’re a wizard. Wizards have brooms. It’s—tradition,” Harry replied. “You want to be a proper wizard, don’t you?”

Harry was imagining what it would be like to see Dudley on a broom for the first time. He was sure it would be hilarious.

”I guess so,” Dudley said resignedly.

”So, we’ll get you a broom. Don’t worry—it’s easy,” Harry lied. “I caught on like that.”

He snapped his fingers. Dudley brightened a little. If Harry caught on easily, maybe he would too. Of course, Vernon was no Seeker like Harry’s father had been. Actually, there probably hadn’t been a broom made that could hold Vernon’s bulk. It would have to be customized.

”Okay,” Dudley agreed.

Suddenly, the door to Minerva’s office opened and in walked Professor Sprout. She was a squat little witch, with rather wild gray hair pushed under a patched pointed hat. Her fingernails were a bit dirty and her robes were . . . earthy looking. But she had a pleasant, motherly look about her as she smiled at Dudley.

”This is Professor Sprout, Mr. Dursley. She teaches Herbology and is Hufflepuff’s Head of House. She’ll be taking you there,” Minerva said by way of introduction.

”Ah, my newest Hufflepuff,” Pomona said to the young man, looking him up and down. “A big one, too. You’ll be a great help moving my larger plants about that are sensitive to magic. Welcome to Hogwarts, Mr. Dursley, and to Hufflepuff house.”

Dudley blinked at her.

”Ah, thank you?” he responded as Harry grinned.

Having Dudley at Hogwarts was going to be a hoot.

****************************
A/N: Just felt like adding a chapter to this story. Thanks for reading.