Author's Chapter Notes:
Hermione and Draco meet with McGonagall and the topic of furthering their educations comes up.

Chapter 4: First Weekly Meeting with McGonagall

Hermione woke up early the next morning, conscientious of her first weekly meeting with Headmistress McGonagall to discuss Head Girl duties and the state of the school. She showered, dressed, and was heading out to the Great Hall for breakfast when Draco walked down the short staircase from his quarters to their common room, apparently ready to join her.

“Let’s get a move on – I don’t want you to be late on account of me.” Draco urged her to the door. They walked together to the Great Hall, silently. Hermione felt awkward, but could think of nothing she wanted to say to Malfoy.

When they arrived at breakfast, very few of the NEWT students were there. Hermione supposed most students skipped breakfast after their late night study sessions. Malfoy sat down at the first table they came to and looked up at her with a challenging expression. Hermione frantically searched the room for a familiar face. Not one appeared. Resigned, she sat down next to Malfoy.

‘I’m having breakfast with Draco Malfoy – never in a million years would anyone have predicted this,’ Hermione thought.

They ate in silence for some time. Hermione couldn’t help but notice how politely Malfoy ate. Ironically, it made her miss Ron, although usually she was disgusted by his poor manners.

“So…” Malfoy tried to open a conversation between them. “What courses are you taking this year?”

“Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Arithmancy, History of Magic, Herbology, Astronomy, Potions, and Ancient Runes,” Hermione spouted from memory.

“Ever the overachiever, eh?” Malfoy scoffed. “Although I’m afraid you’ll be seeing more of me than you ever dreamt possible – I’ll be in half your classes this term.” Malfoy grinned mischievously.

“My worst nightmare,” Hermione answered, but with a slight smile to take the edge off. “It’s going to be strange taking classes with students a year behind us. Do you know of any other students from our year who are coming back?”

“Only the students who don’t pass their NEWT exams. Pansy tells me she may fail on purpose to stay here with me.” Draco definitely didn’t appear overjoyed at the prospect.

“What a loyal girlfriend you have, Malfoy,” Hermione mocked. “She must love you very much.”

“Or she needs to get a life. Technically, she’s not my girlfriend and I’m certain she doesn’t love me,” Draco added.

“Just a fuck buddy, eh?” Hermione asked pointedly. She tried to be nonchalant about using such harsh language, but Malfoy deserved to be challenged.

“Miss Granger, watch your language! The Head Girl must set an excellent standard for conduct,” Draco mimicked McGonagall. Hermione found herself grinning with Draco again. She shook her head, surprised that Draco’s edgy sense of humor could make her smile.


An hour later found them in Headmistress McGonagall’s office, winding down a long, tedious meeting. Malfoy had been given the list of all 24 Prefects (six per House), while Hermione had tentatively chosen the Muggle Halloween party committee, at which point Draco cleared his throat and said, “Headmistress, I feel compelled to express my opinion against the Muggle approach to the Halloween festivities.”

“I see, Mr. Malfoy.”

“Of course you’d be against anything remotely related to Muggles,” Hermione sneered.

“I just think that there are plenty of Wizarding traditions associated with this holiday that would be better suited for a school for wizards,” Draco insisted.

“I see your point,” McGonagall said, “but,” she quickly added, “I disagree. My reasons here are twofold. First, this approach will create a fun and novel event. It will be full of brand new activities for the pureblood students. Second, I want to make the Muggle-born students feel especially welcome in the aftermath of the war. That’s why I put Miss Granger in charge, but I don’t want an all Muggle-born committee – I want to encourage the students who excel in Muggle studies to see the theoretical aspects of their coursework applied to a real world setting. And, Mr. Malfoy, I expect your full cooperation in the event.”

“Of course, ma’am.”

“There is one more subject I would like to broach with both of you,” McGonagall began. “I know it is a bit unusual among wizards in the UK, but there are wizarding universities in Europe that I would like you both to consider. Furthering your education can open up many opportunities, and you both are so bright, it would be a shame for you not to continue your education.”

“I have read about at least three universities for wizards,” Hermione spoke up. “One in London, UWL, one in Paris, WUP, and one just outside Durmstrang, called WUD, I believe.”

“Yes, you are correct,” McGonagall confirmed. “I would like you both to consider applying to all three universities. I am also willing to sponsor trips for both of you to visit each of the three schools this year, to help you decide between them, or whether to attend at all. Hogwarts also has a scholarship program, if either of you would need financial assistance to pay for your continued education.”

Hermione’s mind started racing. She would love to attend university! But what would Ron say? None of the Weasleys had ever gone to university. They all got married young and started their large families. Would Ron be willing to wait for her to complete further studies? He wasn’t even all that happy that she had decided to return to Hogwarts for her seventh year…

“Alright, is there anything else before we adjourn?” McGonagall’s query brought Hermione’s attention back to the meeting at hand.

Hermione handed Headmistress McGonagall a small roll of parchment. “Ron and Harry would like to ride in on the Hogwarts Express with the returning students and spend a few days here at the start of the term.”

“I see,” McGonagall replied. “You do realize that this will be an extremely busy week for you, overseeing Prefects, assisting new students, and so forth.”

“Yes, I do, ma’am, and I promise their visit will not keep me from any of my duties. I plan to complete all assigned coursework for that week well in advance of the start of the term.”

“Like you wouldn’t have done that anyway,” Malfoy muttered under his breath, just so Hermione could hear. Hermione shot him a look.

“Fine,” Headmistress McGonagall stated. “You may tell them I approve. I expect the utmost decorum in my Head Boy and Head Girl at all times. I hope neither of you will let me down.”

“Thank you, Headmistress McGonagall. I’ll send them an owl right away.”

“Alright then, let’s get to work. Despite the fact that the new term doesn’t begin for four weeks, there’s a great deal to be done in preparation for that day,” Headmistress McGonagall said as a way of dismissal.

Draco and Hermione walked down the circular stairs, out into the hallway, and down the series of staircases that took them back to their quarters on the third floor. Hermione walked quickly, eager to write to Ron and Harry. Malfoy was easily able to keep up with his long strides. When had he gotten so tall?

“Don’t run all the way back, Granger. You need to save your breath to write Lover Boy and Potty the good news.”

Hermione refused to let Malfoy get to her. She kept up her quick pace.

“I wonder, do the three of you all go at it at once? Or do you take turns?”

“You’ll never know, Malfoy.” Hermione couldn’t resist.