Author's Chapter Notes:
Another Hermione and Draco interaction before the school term begins.

Chapter 6: Working in the Library

The next week found Hermione and Draco working in the library, surrounded by hundreds of damaged and disorganized books. They were assigned to help Madam Pince restore the library, which had been damaged during the Final Battle of the war. Hermione, in an attempt to be civil, broached a topic that had been plaguing her since their first meeting with McGonagall.

“So, Malfoy, as the reigning expert in all things Pureblood, why is it more wizards in England do not attend university?”

Malfoy looked thoughtful. “I’ve been thinking about that too,” he said. “Do all Muggles go to university then?” he asked.

“Oh no,” Hermione admitted. “I’m sure it’s less than half. But anyone at a Muggle school as prestigious as Hogwarts would be expected to go on to university. And most jobs, including most government positions, require a university education. My parents both went to university and graduate school after that.”

“So, are you from a posh Muggle family?” Draco asked.

“No, we certainly don’t live in a Manor,” Hermione answered sarcastically.

“But I bet you don’t live in a Burrow either,” Draco muttered. Before Hermione could respond, he went on, “I think part of the issue is life is so much harder for Muggles – they have no magical powers, so they can’t really do anything without a lot of hard labor.” Hermione started sputtering, ready to defend Muggle ingenuity, but Draco cut her off. “I’m not criticizing Muggles here, Granger. I may actually be criticizing wizards. Magic makes things easy for us, so we grow lazy and don’t push ourselves to attend university. Purebloods, for example, think their blood empowers their magical abilities, so why do they need theory or even application? I only know of one or two Malfoys in my entire lineage who attended universities and they were professors or some such thing, considered eccentrics.” Malfoy paused. “I think it is a mistake. I think McGonagall is right. More of us should go. I think I’d like to go. I was thinking of pursuing a Masters in Potions, if there is such a thing.”

“Oh yes!” Hermione replied enthusiastically. “I’m sure I read about it somewhere. Maybe not at the University of Wizardary in London, but definitely in one or both of the continental schools.”

Draco smiled. “What about you? Will the Weasel allow the cleverest witch of our age to fulfill her full potential?” Draco's voice took on a scornful edge.

“Well, first, it’s not up to Ron to make such a decision for me, although I would like to know his thoughts on the topic…”

“How long is his Auror training going to take?” Draco asked.

“Three years, I believe. That would probably be his answer to my question about low wizard matriculation rates: there are a lot of Ministry training programs like his.”

“Yes, but three years of practical training is not really a substitute for a four or six year course of study.” Malfoy refused to accept the rationale for lack of wizard higher education. “So, tell me, Granger, when’s the wedding?” Draco sounded scornful, but the fact that he had asked the question surprised Hermione. Her first reaction was to tell Malfoy to mind his own business. But in the spirit of détente, she answered honestly.

“Right now we’re still getting used to the idea of being together as more than best friends. I mean, I’ve had feelings for him for a long time, but at first he was with Lavender and then there was the war. I’ve put my feelings on hold for so long that now it’s…” Hermione wondered why she was telling Malfoy such intimate details about her relationship with Ron. “I don’t know, it’s just confusing. I mean it’s great, wonderful actually, but a bit confusing.”

Draco looked like he was going to ask her another personal question when Madam Pince appeared from behind a stack of books. “Are you two working or just chatting amongst my books?” she asked pointedly. Hermione quickly picked up the next book off the pile in front of her and got to work restoring it and sorting it for future re-shelving.



Hermione returned to the Head suite about half an hour after Draco had left the Library. When she arrived, she saw Draco kneeling in front of the fire, burning a small piece of parchment. He jumped back when he heard Hermione ask, “What’s that?”

“Do you always have to be such a nosey parker?” Draco complained.

“Sorry, force of habit. I’m naturally inquisitive.” Hermione smiled, attempting to put a positive spin on her meddlesome behavior.

“You’re a pain in the arse,” Draco responded, but with a smile, so Hermione knew he was only teasing her. He sat down in the overstuffed armchair to the right of the sofa.

“As long as you are not plotting to overthrow the Head Girl,” Hermione said, only half joking.

“It’s nothing that sinister,” Draco replied. “I’m just messing around.”

“Well, you embarrassed me when you tried to kill Dumbledore,” Hermione said. “I’d defended you to Harry all year and then you proved me wrong.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t live up to your faith in me, but I did what I felt I had to do,” Draco said a bit defensively.

“Choices have consequences,” Hermione said, self-righteously.

“I’m not gonna defend my actions, Hermione, but from my perspective, I didn’t have a lot of good options to choose from.”

Hermione didn’t know what to say in response to that, so she sat quietly on the sofa. Crookshanks chose that moment to emerge from Hermione’s room. She leaped up next to Draco and lay down beside him.

“Hey, Granger, I think your cat likes me.”

“What do you know…” Hermione murmured.

 

Chapter End Notes:
I know Crookshanks is half Kneazle, but Draco doesn’t know that necessarily.