Author's Chapter Notes:
September first finally arrives, bringing with it Hogwarts students and a visit from Harry and Ron.
Chapter 7: Students Return to Hogwarts

The castle was eerily quiet while the NEWT students sat for their exams. Normally, there’d be other students filling the castle, but none were due to arrive for another three days. The silence was starting to make Hermione feel unsettled. She hoped Luna, Neville, and the rest of her classmates were doing well, but at the same time, it was going to be lonely with only Ginny’s classmates for companions during the upcoming academic year.

“Feeling jealous, Granger?” Malfoy appeared beside her.

“What are you on about?”

“All these prats will be graduating before you. Hell, how hard can that berk Hagrid’s Care of Magical Creatures exam be if Loony Lovegood is able to take it after only five and half years!”

“There’s a lot you could have learned from Hagrid if you hadn’t been such a spoiled brat!” Hermione chastised, remembering the fiasco with Buckbeak. “And I’m not jealous. I was thinking about how I’m going to miss all my friends.”

“True, and worse still, you’re stuck with me!” Draco laughed sardonically.

“I’m actually looking forward to my courses. I don’t think a one month, intensive course would satisfy me.”

“Well, you missed the entire school year. Most of the students downstairs taking their exams were here for most of last year.”

“What about you? You were here last year, for most of the school year.”

“Yes, McGonagall and I talked about that over the summer. I agreed to stay through the entire year in order to be Head Boy. I don’t have many options at the moment. Being here seemed as good a choice as any. Besides, I missed a lot of school last year…”

“Being a Death Eater can be time consuming,” Hermione interrupted, bitterly.

“… and I was gone for a long time after Easter break, until, well…”

“Until the war came to Hogwarts,” Hermione said somberly. She’d had about three months to deal with the pain of losing so many friends, but when she thought about the war, the sadness returned full force.

They arrived at their suite. “Dumbledore,” Hermione said to the prince and princess portrait. The door swung open.

“Yeah, well…” Draco searched for something to say. “Well, I’m glad it’s over and I’m actually glad you and Potter won.”

Hermione looked at Draco skeptically. “You and your family would be much better off if your side had won, Malfoy.”

“Not really. First off, Voldemort probably would have killed me eventually to punish my parents for one thing or another. If not, then maybe my father wouldn’t be in Azkaban and my mother wouldn’t be hiding out somewhere to avoid the shame of it all, but trust me, I’m glad that Voldemort is dead. He was one evil, twisted fucker – made my life a living hell for years.”

“Yeah, well, you were in a terrible position.” Hermione tried to be sympathetic.

“Well, one thing I could have done differently would be to have taken Dumbledore up on his offer to help me in the Astronomy Tower, but I didn’t. I’ve regretted that decision every day since.”

Hermione had never thought about what would have happened had Draco taken Dumbledore up on his offer of help. “You know that Dumbledore was already dying from a curse Voldemort put on Marvolo Gaunt’s ring. Dumbledore planned to have Snape kill him. So I’m not sure what would have actually happened to you after Dumbledore died, even if his death had been delayed a few weeks or months. I wonder if anyone could have protected you from Voldemort then…”

“But I didn’t know all that then. I was a coward and a fool,” Draco said angrily. With that, he went up to his room and closed the door, effectively shutting out Hermione, despite her attempt to be civil.

***

The Great Hall was all abuzz as the NEWT students ate their last dinner before leaving the next morning on the Hogwarts Express to London. The same train would bring the returning students and new first years to Hogwarts the following day. Headmistress McGonagall had decided that Hermione and Draco would take the train to London with the NEWT students, so that they could conduct the Prefects’ meeting on the trip back to Hogwarts. She had arranged for them to spend the night in London, reserving two rooms in the Leaky Cauldron.

“Congratulations!” Hermione said as she joined Luna and Neville at the dining table. “I’m really surprised how quickly the professors were able to grade the exams.”

“We had to know immediately whether we could go or had to stay,” Neville replied.

“They must have used magic,” Luna answered. “Are we sure all the Time-Turners were destroyed when we fought in the Department of Mysteries?” she said doubtfully.

“So, how did it go?” Hermione asked.

“I’m just happy I passed Care of Magical Creatures,” Luna responded. “Now I can begin my real education!”

“My best grade was in Herbology,” Neville answered. (‘No surprise there,’ thought Hermione.) “But I managed to pass DADA and Charms too!”

“That’s great, Neville!” Hermione said, sincerely, giving him a hug. “Luna, promise me you’ll send me a postcard from every place you visit. And Neville, keep in touch. Maybe you can come back to visit me on one of the Hogsmeade weekends.”

“Won’t Ron be coming for those?” Neville asked slyly.

“Yes, Neville, but I’ll still have time for my friends.” Hermione smiled at him.

When the dinner ended, Hermione felt an odd mixture of emotions: sadness that Luna and Neville would both be leaving in the morning, and excitement that the following day, she would see Ron, Harry, and Ginny on the train ride back to Hogwarts!

***

After riding the train with Neville and Luna, Hermione found herself eating dinner at the Leaky Cauldron with Malfoy. They spent most of the meal going over their plans for the Prefects’ meeting on the train the next day.

After a few moments of silence, Hermione said hesitantly, “So, Draco…”

“You want something from me, eh, Granger?” Hermione looked at him quizzically. “You’ve never called me Draco in your entire life.” Draco smirked.

Hermione chided herself for her transparency. “Oh, well, I was hoping that when Ron and Harry get to Hogwarts tomorrow, Ginny could come and hang out with us in the Head suite. Just for a couple hours.”

“I’ll get out of your way tomorrow night,” Draco acquiesced. “I can hang out down in the Slytherin common room to make sure they don’t get too disheartened down there with all the empty beds. I wonder if anyone will be sorted into Slytherin this year.”

“I’m sure the Sorting Hat won’t abandon Slytherin after hundreds of years. And thank you, Draco.”

“You’re welcome, Hermione,” Draco said, mimicking her emphasis on their first names.

***

Hermione nervously waited at the train station, anxious for Ron, Harry, and Ginny to arrive. Finally, she saw the three of them, along with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, making their way down the station towards the train. Ron came bounding up and pulled Hermione into a bear hug. Hermione laughed, gave Ron a shy kiss, greeted Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, then walked hand in hand with Ron to the train.

The four friends found a cabin towards the front of the train, each couple sitting closely together on either side of the window. Ron had his arm around Hermione and once the train had pulled away from the station, he leaned in to kiss her.

Just at that moment, Draco appeared at the cabin door. “Sorry to interrupt the love nest,” Draco sneered, “but I think it’s time to start the Prefects’ meeting.”

“Fucking Ferret,” Ron muttered.

“Ron!” Hermione chastised. “I have to go. I promised McGonagall that your visit would not keep me from any of my responsibilities.”

“I know – all this school stuff is important to you,” Ron grumbled. He gave her a half-hearted smile as she left the cabin with Malfoy.

***

Later that evening, after they had eaten dinner in the Great Hall, Hermione, Ron, Harry, and Ginny walked up to the Head suite.

“Are you sure the Ferret okayed my coming up to your rooms?” Ginny asked.

“He’s not going to be there – he’s going to spend the evening down in Slytherin.”

“Where he belongs,” Ron said angrily.

“Please, let’s not ruin our time together by whinging about Malfoy,” Hermione begged Ron. Half his letters had been rants about what a poor choice McGonagall had made in choosing Malfoy to be Head Boy.

“Okay, okay, you’re right. We have better things to do,” Ron said suggestively.

Soon they were seated around the fireplace of the Head suite. “Tell me about your new flat!” Hermione demanded excitedly. Ron and Harry had gotten a two bedroom flat in Muggle London, just outside the wizarding community there. “And tell me again why you didn’t just move into number 12, Grimmauld Place.”

“I’m having it completely redone. There’s no way I want to live in that hell-hole,” Harry responded, sharing a look with Ginny. “Besides, Ron and I need a change of pace. Our flat is our bachelor pad.” Harry and Ron bumped fists.

Ginny shook her head. “As long as you two don’t have any wild parties while we’re stuck here in school!”

“I’m counting down the days until you are done with school forever,” Ron replied.

“Yes, well, about that…” Hermione began.

“About what?” Ron looked confused.

“Well, it’s just that Headmistress McGonagall has encouraged me to think about maybe, possibly, well, attending a wizarding university.”

“University? What? More school?” Ron whined. “Wizards don’t go to university, Hermione, that’s a Muggle thing.”

“I have to say, Hermione, I don’t know any wizard who went to university, not even the Minister of Magic,” Ginny added.

“Bugger, Dumbledore didn’t even study at any university and he was the most powerful wizard ever!” Ron added angrily.

“I know it’s not unusual for Muggles,” Harry began.

“But Hermione is not a Muggle,” Ron interrupted. “She’s already the brightest witch we know.”

“Yes, but that’s all the more reason why I should go to university: to learn even more,” Hermione argued.

“You’re already clever enough,” Ron grumbled.

“How long does it take to finish university?” Ginny asked.

“There are four year programs and six year programs,” Hermione answered.

“Six years?!” Ron looked around at Hermione, Ginny, and Harry incredulously. “You expect me to wait six years?”

“Wait for what, Ron?” Hermione asked shyly. Ron just stammered. “Besides, I could go to the University of Wizardry in London. We’d be together all the time,” Hermione explained.

“Harry, you were raised by Muggles. Explain to Hermione that she doesn’t need to go to any university. She’s a witch!”

“I’m not getting involved,” Harry answered. He was clearly more interested in playing with Ginny’s hair than discussing Hermione’s educational pursuits. Ginny was practically sitting in his lap.

“I don’t have to decide now,” Hermione said resignedly. “Let’s not ruin the evening discussing this.”

“Yes, well, speaking of which...” Harry stood up. “I think I’m gonna walk Ginny back to Gryffindor Tower. Don’t wait up for me.” Harry offered Ginny his hand, pulled her to her feet, and they exited the suite, clearly craving some time alone together.

“So, Ron, tell me all about Auror training,” Hermione asked, honestly interested in all the details Ron proceeded to tell her. Ron enjoyed talking about his work, how he felt about his instructors and fellow Aurors in training, but after about half an hour he’d exhausted the topic.

As he had talked, he had held Hermione’s hand. Now that he had run out of things to say, he put his arm around her shoulders and leaned in towards her tentatively. Hermione quickly closed the distance between them and kissed Ron wholeheartedly. She had missed him! An entire month had gone by since she’d stayed with him at the Burrow.

Hermione loved kissing Ron. She felt he was very good at it, although Hermione didn’t like to think about the fact that he’d probably learned the art of kissing with Lavender Brown. Soon, their kissing grew more passionate and Hermione stopped thinking and started enjoying the feelings that were still new to her. As their kisses heated up, Ron began to slowly unbutton Hermione’s blouse. She shyly stopped his hands.

“What? You let me at the Burrow!” Ron said, disappointed.

“Yes, but not here. What if Malfoy comes back?”

“I thought he was staying down in the Slytherin Dungeons.”

“I don’t know if he plans to spend the night down there. It’s getting late.”

“Come on, Hermione. I’ve been looking forward to… well, you know… for a month!”

“I’m not saying ‘no,’” Hermione said nervously. “Let’s just go to my room where we’re sure to be left alone.”

Ron’s face burst into a wide smile. He jumped up quickly and grabbed Hermione by both hands, pulling her quickly into her room. Once there, they sat down tentatively on the edge of the bed. The fact that they were all alone on her bed, with no one to stop them, no one to interrupt, made Hermione feel rather reckless and excited. She had performed a Contraceptive Charm earlier that day, just in case. Now she was glad she had.

That night, Ron and Hermione made love for the first time. It was a bit more awkward and messier than Hermione had expected, but Ron was very sweet and clearly inexperienced, which made Hermione very happy. She wasn’t sure how far things had progressed with Lavender, and now she had a clear answer.

When he was nervously attempting to entered her for the first time, Ron told her he loved her. Hermione got teary-eyed, stopped him for a moment, and hugged him tight. “I love you too, Ron.”

Unfortunately, Ron was so overwhelmed by the whole thing that he immediately came upon entering Hermione. He apologized profusely and promised he’d do better the next time, after which he immediately fell asleep. But as Hermione lay next to him thinking it over, she decided she was very happy with how things had turned out. It hadn’t hurt too badly, Ron had told her he loved her, and she was content to be wrapped in his arms as he slept. She hadn’t actually achieved an orgasm with Ron yet, but she was sure that with practice, things would improve.